Ryans Reef

Don't sweat the algae Ryan.Think of it as a ''in tank refugium''.I can't get rid of my bryopsis to save my life.Yote how well does that Marine SAT work again?Pictures look great and the aquascaping is one of the best I've seen.

Try not to get so defensive Ryan,I think Capt was trying to help.

Aint nothing works on bryopsis:grumble: Except running the alkalinity up above 10 DKH.Thats what I did and finally got rid of the crap.For now any way.

So one of my anthias carpet surfed last night my first loss other than an emerald crab and some snails. I tried catching the other two today, as I just cant keep up with their feeding schedule. They are looking a little thin and I figured that I would take them back to the LFS for whatever store credit they would give me or nothing at all, I just dont want them to die. BUT...I cant catch the little darts so Im going to keep feeding them when I can and hope for the best. I really dont want to see them die but Im not going to rip my tank down to get them out either.

if its hard for you to make enough time to get all there feedings in in a day, you could always teach someone who has more time how to feed them the right amounts of food

I wouldnt even try to catch anthias in a reef tank.Shore wouldnt trying to catch em in a tank the size of yours.:D
When I caught the 2 Gracie picked out at the store,I chased them around a 20 gallon tank for 30 minutes before I caught em.
Plus,I agree with Dustin.Show Janell how to feed them.

why are they so picky about eating? I am guessing they aren't like normal fish and can eat once a day?

What about an automatic feeder? I know we try to limit feeding flake or pellet food, but I am sure if you made the setting pretty low and it fed pellet food that most of it would get eaten and wouldn't cause many algae problems. You can always get a crapload of nassarious snails to help.

You can "train" them to eat less often, especially if you have a large, established tank. I feed my anthias once every 3 or 4 days at this point.

Well apparently mine wasnt established enough yet. Was an impulsive buy that I didnt research very well.

I shouldve listened to Capt when he told me they were a very difficult anthia to keep.

I had to up my feedings for the anthias too.I hadnt feed anything but my corals up untill I got those damn pink and yellow fish for my daughter.
But they seem to be doing great on one feeding a day so far.

Mine are still sucking hind teat! I feed one large feeding a day, been feeding twice a day since last friday. Just dont seem to be gaining weight. My other fish are happy though. Wrasse and clowns are rediculously chubby.

Ryan,Have you thought about setting up one of those automatic brine hatchery/feeders? That would give em live brine shrimp 24/7.
Just a brain fart.

Thanks dustin. That is the biggest problem with trying to feed these guys multiple times a day. They are rather shy eaters, the tang and the wrasse ARE NOT. So in order to feed the anthias I have to feed enought to keep the other two occupied long enough not to bother the anthias.

Back