Ryans Reef

If you come up with someting foolproof,I want to know.
Just remember that your going to have to in there at times to clean out the trapped crud.

Im thinking that Im going to build a cap like James said only instead of using all acrylic Im going to use acrylic and that UV resistant mess that you use to keep birds out of cherry trees and blueberry bushes. Going to try to build a complete top for the tank like that too.

my old tank had one that was just a square and it just sat on four peices that were on the edges of the overflow and the sides. if i can get a pic i will.

So today was an AWESOME day for me. I got a nice mix of aragonite sand for a song! All are Carib-sea products I got Aragamax, Aragamax Select, Aragamax Figi pink, and a 40lb bag of Seafloor Select. 280lbs for a wopping 152.00 including tax! I went to my local guy that does scratch and dent tanks and stands to get two bags of regular priced aragonite, turns out he had some slightly damaged bags for 12 bucks a bag! 30 and 40lb bags for 12 bucks! That is a 70% off discount!

Also got the rest of my cepex ball valves 2x1.5 inch and 4 one inch.

Now all I need to do is find a guy with enough sack to help me heft the tank inside and on the stand, do some plumbing an violla! We'll have a reef.

It all depends on what kind of help I can get Yote the sooner the better. Ive never plumbed a system which scares the crapola out of me. And I also need some muscle to get the most rediculously overbuilt 180 on earth on the extra tall stand. 400 or so pounds 42inches in the air. All my toughass buddies are skeered of the tank. Id love to say by the first of the september but seems like everytime I set a target date something happens so no date will be set.

Think your SO will let you hang a block and tackle from the ceiling or a lefting eye for a come-along?:mrgreen:

A frind of mine just bought a 48"X36" 250gal.Now thats a heavy monster.Took 6 of us just to carry it into the LFS.
Wish I lived close enough,I'd come help getter in place.

Well I just poured and finished 10 yards of concrete for my Uncle today so he owes me. His two boys make me look like a bantam weight so we might be even sooner than he thinks. Im going to try to get it on the stand tomorrow. ill post pics whether its looking good or a looks like a full recycling bin.

I was really disappointed that the new Ryan guy talking about his new clownfish wasn't you, but I guess hearing that you got all that sweet sand for that price makes up for it.

Well I forgot to show you all the final result of the room remodel before I put the tank in its new home. So here they are.

Hope they meet your approval Biff!

Main walls of the room.

100_1219.jpg

Stair case walls.

100_1218.jpg

I think that the plumbing is going to happen next sunday. Some of the local guys are going to come assist. In the mean time my father and I are going to run two dedicated 20 amp circuits to the tank with two triple gang boxes. Six recepticles should be plenty Im assuming. I also need to level the stand, it is dead nuts the long way and somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 on the short end. Got to get the floor braced up underneath too. Ill be making the trek back to the city next friday to get the rest of my plumbing needs, having a very hard time finding a local vendor for two inch Spaflex so heres to hoping to find it there. Going to be a busy week for sure!

Back