Ryans Reef

Screwed again! I forgot I cut two 90 degree barb fittings out of two bulkheads when I got the tank. Guess who needs bulkheads to plumb. This is getting refreakingdiculous. Very frustrated tonight. There arent any available locally so now Ive got to order them online.

I tried to drill out two old ones that I have to not avail. This sucks!

Oh man that sucks. I really hate that crap. Seems as I always space something when plumbing. I hate doing it. Especially for the measuring and math part of it. Sorry to hear your set back.

Well I went to a VERY nice frag swap today, and I had put the word out last night. On of the LFS made their decision to attend based on my needs...I think. They werent scheduled to come and called early this morning to let the host know they were going to make it. Big shout out to RandyO at A Reef Creation in Buffalo NY!

So I got my bulkheads and won a 3lb box of carbon. My GF won a gorgeous tri-color torch but no tank no point in taking it so I had her put it back on the giveaway block.

Ryan.. wow, everything is coming along great it looks !! Congrats again o nthe new system. Can't wait to see it all together !! How hard was it putting that sump together ??? I'm getting ready to move so I have to take down and move my tank so it's a perfect time to add my sump now. I am using a 20 gallon high glass tank. I want to make it a sump/fuge so we will see how it works out !! Good luck to you again !!

You couldnt have talked somebody into sitting the torch for her?Glad to know you got some of the needed stuff.
Wish you'd hurry and get water in that dang tank though.:mrgreen:

@Alexander Dude boise cant be any smaller than the Rochester area. THe club actually covers about half of the state. We are all pissed off at RC for closing our trade thread. Its a great club. www.fingerlakesreef.com Join your most local club on RC(ick) and find a local crowd.

@RayRay The sump was ultra-easy to build really. Start with your skimmer section make sure its big enough because its the most important part. Should be at least 25-30 percent of the size. Tip your tank on its end find something that is the appropriate size to rest your glass on. I found that it is much much much easier to run a bead of silicone around the edges that are to be bonded. Then place the glass in the tank, with one hand hold the glass and with the other smooth the silicone into the joint with your finger. Repeat for the entire bubble trap. Let it sit for a few hours(3-4 depending on your local weather) Tip it on the other end and repeat. Make sure that you leave the return section large enough as I have been told that is where the evaportation will be noticed. All in all it took me about and hour to build plus the drying time between each end.

@Yote I didnt feel right asking someone to do that or really even taking it as I am the new kid on the block. Water will be coming very soon.

What size sump is that? I skimmed back through your thread but did no see where you said how many gal's it is.

I feel your pain on plumbing that beast. I'm new to all this too and I've been procrastinating like crazy and not getting started on plumbing my build.

Closed Loop Pump Assembly

IowaAugust08.jpg

Back