Ryans Reef

hot damn, i forgot how nice that stand and canopy are. Planning to keep the same color (which I think is a sweet color) or change it the same as the other wood in the house?

i HAD THE SAME THING WITH MINE, DEAD NUTS ON THE LONG WAY AND OFF ABOUT 1/8 OR SO THE SHORT WAY. I PUT A RUG TACK STRIP WITHOUT THE NAILS ALONG THE BACK EDGE TO LEVEL THE TANK SINCE THE TANK WAS TILTED BACK. YOUR PLYWOOD ON THE SIDES WILL BE STRONG ENOUGH TO SUPPORT THE TANK WITH A SLIGHT SPACE . LOOKING VERY NICE. CONGRATS ON A GREAT LOOKING SYSTEM AND REMODEL.

Hooray, another set back! I went and picked up all off the rest of my plumbing supplies, get home and then I notice that the threads are boogered up on one of the bulkheads boo! Then I notice that one of the bulkheads is the wrong size because I am a bonehead. BOOOO! It wouldnt be a big deal BUT the GD fishstore is 1.5 hours away. Sometimes I really hate living in the jing-weeds! So I have to decide to delay the plumbing for another week or waste half of my day tomorrow.

Im going to get them at work on monday. Gas prices are just too high to spend 50 on gas for 12 dollars in parts. Nothing will get shot at the party tomorrow. Its the party for the Friends of the NRA comittee that puts on our fundraising dinner. Let the home-made vino flow!

Well I built half of my sump tonight. Its kind of ugly but what the hell its my first go at it. I started out with what I thought was the proper way of doing things but it just wasnt feasible. That would be attempting to silicone each side of each baffle, needless to say fat hands and small spaces just dont work well together. Found it much easier to put a bead of silicone on the baffle, then place it where I wanted it then smooth it in with my finger. This way worked much better for me. Here are a couple of bad pictures.

100_1239.jpg

100_1240.jpg

Unfortunately I have figured out that a big skimmer requires a lot of room in the sump, 20" for the skimmer section plus three for the bubble trap. Takes up just under half of the sump, which kind of sucks. Im going to end up with approximately 13" for a refugium and 8" for the return section with another 3" bubble trap. The fuge is much smaller than I had hoped for but had to have the space for the skimmer. I wish I had the room to run the skimmer external but space under the tank is at a premium.

Did you all know that a tuna can is exactly 1.5"?

Looks pretty good to me.And know where ya coming from siliconing both sides of the baffles.Never measured a tuna can either.Always perfered potted meat myself:mrgreen:
I ran into the same problem when I converted my old 30 into a sump.You run out of room quick.

I don't have fat hands, and I still had the same problem. I ended up having to settle for siliconing in only one side of each baffle (except for the first one). The good thing is, you don't need the baffles to be water tight, so as long as they are staying in place it doesn't really matter how bad a job siliconing you did.

Going to be plumbing today and fresh testing tomorrow AM maybe tomorrow night. I have a decent sized frag swap that Im attending tomorrow to get a little more familiar with the local guys. Going to be a sweet swap 70 people most are bringing 10 or more frags. Wish my system wouldve been ready. Oh well, next time.

Back