Ryans Reef

Ryan those floors look you could have dance classes on them! You should really be proud of yourself for such a job well done.

I also like the boomerang countertop. Maybe not so much to have in my own place, but if someone else had it I would think it is pretty cool.

Ok Im taking orders on frags of the Boomerang formica so far I have:

Bifferwine
Altohombre

Free frags with shipping to all that inquire...haha. Being a homeowner sucks!

Dude Im going to win...I hope. Im shooting for water the first weekend in August. would be able to sooner but Im going on vacation to Michigan and Iowa to see my dad and brother. So ill be out of town from july 26th-aug 1st.

Im trying to decide If I want to dump the money into aragonite or just get some calcium carbonate based sand.

Thats kinda what I was thinking too Yote. Hard times for coming up with 300 bucks. Ill make it happen though. What do you think of the sea floor stuff with the shells and small debris? Just like 40-60lbs of that for my future bluespot jawfish to use for den making. Or just get some rubble and get all the same sand?

The only thing about that seafloor stuff,The shells and rubble tend to trap waste.Does look more like I would think is natural.I'd say that was a personal choice.

Ryang I just caught up on your build. Nice work on the floors :)

Did you get the intake box from glass-holes for your closed loop or did you just go with a strainer.

I almost got the intake box but I decided to just go with the strainer.

Im going to get the intake box. For me its a better set up, the stock tank is already growing coraline so fast I dont know how Im going to keep up. The box will be easier to clean.

Ryan, if you do shells and crushed coral type substrate, I would only reccomend about a half inch of height as you will need to syphon that bed and makes sure its all clean. Otherwise its not going to be easy for you to get to the rest of the substrate to clean it.

I just wanted to do a very little bit of the crushed shells to mix in with the sand for a more natural look, sounds like its gonna be a PITA so I think Im just gonna skip it.

Yeah for sure, but here is a really good idea, order about 20 pounds of GARF grunge. It has some of that same type stuff and is amazIng for your system, and gives you that look.

Hey guys I have a question. My skimmer is growing coraline like crazy! What can I do to stop it and get what has grown out without screwing it up? Would a couple day vinegar soak be Ok?

My skimmer is covered in coralline on the inside :( I feel your pain. Unfortunately, I can't reach in to clean it with anything (I'd need something to scrape it, and it's at a weird angle). I think the best thing to do would be to take a blanket or dark sheet and cover it. The lack of light should kill the coralline and prevent it from coming back (provided you keep it covered).

In your case, a vinegar soak would definitely help too. Just remember to dilute it out and not soak it in straight vinegar.

Back