Ryans Reef

looking good, hopefully you figure out how to keep that hum down. I know at first I could always hear my tank but after a while you forget it even makes sounds.

Is it humming because its sitting metal to wood?Rubber bushing like James suggested,or even a piece of carpet between the legs on the pump and wood of the stand might even work.
Looks great too.

I took the 4x4s off of the bottom of the pump, it still has the composite board. Ill try the rubber and some neoprene if I can find some.

Well my tank is sounding like a toilet every once in a while, Im getting quite a bit of variation of water volume in one overflow. After talking to the locals they informed me that the overflow lines need to exit above the water level. That was new to me have to hack up the pipe when I drain to put the salt water in. Here is a video of the amount of variation.

Can you take a pic of the durso? I couldn't really see much in the video. Was that a filter sock in there? If they aren't draining evenly, you may need a bigger air hole at the top of the durso.
Don't cut the pipes so they dump out above the water in the sump.

Its just your typical durso capt. 1.5" tubing to a 1.5" tee with a street 90 off one end and a small connection tubing with a cap and a 1/8" hole in the top. So leave the pipes alone? No filter sock

Capt, sorry you found your way to the URS club the other night in the middle of all of the drama.

Ryan, I would try making the air hole bigger.
I never saw a filter sock inside an overflow, but I've seen them on the output of the overflow in the sump. I don't use 1....just something extra that would need to be cleaned often.
If you cut the pipes so they dump above the water, it will be loud and the sump will be loaded with microbubbles.
I don't check the URS forum that often. It's a little too far north for me. The Southern Teir is about my traveling limit. Binghamton is only a little over an hr north of me.

I would agree with Capt. I would try drilling bigger holes in the top of the durso, Anytime mine have done that I mes with the amount of air going into the durso. Do you have a ball valve on this drain?

Drilled the hole out, built the bases for my rock stack and added my sand today. The water looks like a watered down vanilla milkshake kinda wierd looking but hopefully itll clear up by thursday night so I can put a first runn at the scape.

Any pics of the bases you built for the rock? I've been tossing around ideas for how I'm going to put my rock in the tank.

I just took a few of the pieces that didnt have as much character and used them to rough out the size and layout of my stack.

Back