d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

You may have to actually hand feed him a silverside or 2 to get him interested.
As long as there plenty of easy pickins ( snails and crabs ) his natural instincts are to actually hunt.So you MAY have to train him to take the easy meal instead.

Awesome! No doubt this is not your last rockquascaping ;) Are you going to keep all those mantis and/or pistols in the sump? Or give them to the lfs?

How'd the hunt go?

Apparently I suck. :lol:

IF i get any... i'll probably give them to someone.
Pistols I wasn't really worried about... i thought they were relatively harmless. But I know I have at least two more of those Mantis buggers.

Just got word from Richard at TBS that they are still frozen down there in Florida so no diving for another week or so.
I guess that gives me more time for the hunt.

Pistols I wasn't really worried about... i thought they were relatively harmless. But I know I have at least two more of those Mantis buggers.

Just got word from Richard at TBS that they are still frozen down there in Florida so no diving for another week or so.

Yea Dennis I live 2 hours from Tampa and temperatures here are crazy. We have never seen this kind of weather in Florida. I don't they will be going in the water any time soon but at least that gives you more time to get the Mantis. I think the temp in Tampa was in the lows 20 this pass weekend and now it's in the 30's

Sorry you struck out. Since you have no livestock yet, I would starve the tank (ie, move your CUC) and then use tongs to put a silverside near the rocks to train them to take the bait, as Yote was saying. After a couple of times and with the lights out, you should be able to bait the trap and get them. Do you still have a gorilla crab in there too?

It shouldn't hurt the sponges that are growing on the rock, those kind are tuffer then the orange tree ones. It shouldn't take the mantis long to jump out once he realizes he's out of water.

I GOT ONE! :fechten2: :D

I took the rock out (this thing is the size of a basketball) and brought it into my garage and left it there for at least 20 minutes and nothing jumped out. Then while inspecting it closer I saw a couple beady eyes looking at me. :shock: So i decided to try the hot water treatment on him. Got a cup full of hot hot water and my turkey baster and started squirting the scolding hot water into the hole i saw him in. A couple of squirts later he came flying out the bottom of the rock. Then I proceeded to squirt the hot water into just about every hole i could find. I heard lots of snap/crackle/pop but i think it was just the water flowing into all the nooks and crannies inside. I went through several more cups of water and nothing but a gorilla crab, which was good. So two pests down. :mrgreen:

Well he knows for sure he has what, two (?) mantis shrimp and a gorilla crab. I bet you there are more than he knows of actually in there. Better to take care of them now than later on when you have a tank full of fish and corals.

Oh ya, I'm pretty sure i have more.
But i only have 4 rocks so not that big a deal.
And i have time because Florida is currently frozen over so Richard can't go diving for a week or so.

Back