d2mini's REAL 130g Rimless Cube Build Thread

Any nuisance algae poppin up yet? Looks great so far.
Not yet! Still nice and clean.

Either your aweful short or thats a tall ass tank.:mrgreen:
Thanks for the tour.
ha! I'm 5'8". The top of the tank goes right to my armpit.

Great video Dennis! Thanks for sharing, although I have to admit I giggled every time you said "main drain"
That's what she said! :mrgreen:

Hey, watch the short jokes! I'm only 5' 5"!
Thanks for posting the video, gave me a lot of ideas for my upgrade. Got a couple of q's...
Where are your heaters?
Are you using your controller just to control the lights?
Are you planning on doing a calc reactor?

I'm so impressed that your sump area is so organized! WOW

LOVE that video, Dennis! One complaint, where's Wally?

Catherine

We are the same height! You're going to need a step stool to work in it.
ya, my other tank was higher plus it had a hood so I already have a little plastic rubbermaid 2-step stool. :) I can reach in to do some things without the stool and those long forceps will help too.

Hey, watch the short jokes! I'm only 5' 5"!
Thanks for posting the video, gave me a lot of ideas for my upgrade. Got a couple of q's...
Where are your heaters?
Are you using your controller just to control the lights?
Are you planning on doing a calc reactor?
Oh ya, left that out of the vid, didn't I. The heater is in the sump. It's a bit small though. I need to get a more powerful one. The lights help get the temp to near 78 during the day but at night it drops to around 75 or 76.
The controller controls the lights, heater and main system pump. Would have been controlling the powerheads but my vortechs are controlled by their own wave drivers.
I didn't put it in there yet, but the controller will also control my fuge light.

I'm so impressed that your sump area is so organized! WOW
LOVE that video, Dennis! One complaint, where's Wally?
haha, thanks. You are forced to be more neat when everything is contained in the stand. :)
Wally? In the vid he was sleeping, but now he's crying because he doesn't like that I just put him in his pen for nap time. :rolleyes:

Look what I picked up today. :)

780162334_FGNcw-O.jpg

65g and it's "Food Grade".

This one will be my RO/DI container and ATO source.
I'm going to go back soon and get a second one for saltwater mixing and plumb them together.

I would get one with a removable lid for mixing. I have a white food grade container and clean it between new batches of water. I was suprised at the gunk that sticks to the sides, and I only have it in there for 24 hours.

Ya, the lid is small but it's removable.
I'll be able to take the tank offline and flush it with vinegar if I need to.

What gunk are you talking about? My RO/DI containers stay clean. My saltwater container gets some white film on it.

So the RODI is auto-topping into that, which will auto-top into your tank?

That'd be sick...

Well, I'll install a float valve in the top of this tank so the RO/DI will turn off automatically, but I will probably leave the RO/DI off once it fills, until it empties out close to half way. Just in case. We'll see. Because with wires from powerheads and stuff, I may not be able to get a water tight seal on the top, meaning if the float valve fails, I'll flood my garage.

Back