Yotes 125

I'm also done with Montis.
Came home from work Tuesday evening and this is what my Orange Monti looked like.

Wednesday evening,it was completely white with no flesh what so ever on the skeleton.
What's your alk at? Monti's are very sensitive to high alk and low alk. I have good luck keeping mine around 9-10 dKH.

What's your alk at? Monti's are very sensitive to high alk and low alk. I have good luck keeping mine around 9-10 dKH.

I got it down to 10 DKH Capt.I'm still working on bringing it on down to 9,just letting it drop slowly.
Thats one reason I'm going back to Sea Chem Reef salt.Its hard to lower your alkalinity when the salt your using tests at 14DKH on a fresh mix.

My buddy runs that skimmer on his 180 and loves it.

Where you running Ushio bulbs or are those the same bulbs you had been running? The Phoenix 14k have crappy PAR.....but they have that good blue color people go for.

My buddy runs that skimmer on his 180 and loves it.

Where you running Ushio bulbs or are those the same bulbs you had been running? The Phoenix 14k have crappy PAR.....but they have that good blue color people go for.
Umm ok crappy PA doesnt sound good. I thought Phoenix 14k where suppose to be the best. If they arent then what bulbs are the best? I am looking at upgrading my bulb if I am going to do that I want the best bulb.

Best in terms of what? Color or PAR? Single or double ended?

The Phoenix 14K DE (PAR is 73 PPFD) have really nice color, but if you want PAR, the XM 10K SE (115 PPFD) is good and has a true color of about 1200K...which is white. The XM 10K DE (121 PPFD) has little more PAR, but the color is 7500K...so it will look yellow.

Here is the Performance Summary of some 250w MH bulbs running on an IceCap electronic ballast to give you an idea on power and color of some bulbs. (The color is represented by CCT and that is the true K temp of the bulb. If you see 0 CCT...that means the bulb is very blue and didn't register in the software the testing was done with.) Also, when you look at DE bulbs, look at the results with a shield, since you must run them shielded over your system

Last edited:
Yote are all of your chromis still alive? I experience a lot of die off as im sure you see at the LFS you work at. they seem to be shipped really poorly. I have 4 in my tank that survived out of an original 7. but the 4 are super strong and have been alive for over a year now so they are not going anywhere.

Sorry to hear about your monti man that sucks bad. I have only had success in my 180 with monti. tried in my 80 when it was up and running and tried in my ten gallon too . failed on both but my motni thrives in my 180. not sure what the difference is i keep every thing the same as much as i can except for lighting. (vho on180)

great looking new skimmer. hopefully it works out wonderfully for you.

Back