the 210 gallon in wall project

yea, i've heard that one too...

thanks AG, i'm pretty happy with it so far.. i'll be a bunch happier when there are fish and things in it...

Oh and speaking of playing with things, I made myself a bristleworm trap outta a few inches of PVC and a couple endcaps. We'll see how it does tomorrow when I check it.

well, from what i have read, they can mess with sessile inverts, like corals and things, and i really wanna go full reef with this tank, so, my thinking was that i could trap them, and then put them in the sump and fuge, that way they can still benifit the system, just not be in the main tank..

now, not knowing how they reproduce, or anything like that, i dont know if that plan will work, they might be able to travel through the pumps and back into the tank and survive, i dont know, but its something that i can do, that definately dosent hurt the tank or my goals, while i wait for the tank to cycle...

You are misinformed. There are only a few species of worms that are harmful. 99.9% of the ones in our tank are harmless bristleworms that are helpful and beneficial. They eat detritus and clean the rocks and sand. They are probably the best cleaners you can have in your tank. They won't be able to do that if they are in your sump. Then your display will just look like crap. Plus, you will never be abel to trap them all. There are millions!!! :D The only time they'll touch coral is if it's dead or close to dead.

not the first time i've acted on bad info.... well, then that makes my life considerably easier.. ok, cool, then i'll not worrie with them at all then, at least till i have a real reason to.. thanks biff!

The ones to watch out for that are coral eaters are called fire worms. They are usually bright red. As opposed to your every day run of the mill bristleworms, which are pink, tan or gray.

ok cool, so i cant be easly confused on this one.. thats good, i'm glad its not gonna be like trying to read a color wheel, "now is that aquamarine, seafoam, or just an ugly green?" hehehehe

so yesterday, i got about a half a cup of the sand from my 75 and just chucked it in the new 210... just to try and get a couple of the feather dusters and some of the bacteriums and whatnot in there.. hehehe i did notice one thing, the sand in the 75 is much coarser than the sand i put in the 210, and i really prefer the look of the finer sand, so i may not be adding all of the sand from the 75 to the tank, perhaps i'll put it in a fuge, or the sump or sometihng...

well, i just noticed, there are 2 of them that have dug themselves in, and have opened up... i threw 10 drops of Kent chromaplex, and 4 capfulls of purple up in the sump of the 210...

measurements from this morning:
temp 77.6
ph 8.3
NH3/NH4 between 0 and .25mg/l (closer to 0)
NO2 < 0.3mg/l (closer to 0)
NO3 < 5mg/l (closer to 0)
phosphates = 0

Attachments

• the first 2 feather dusters in the 210.jpg
    the first 2 feather dusters in the 210.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 178
so i did something that i may or may not should have done, but i did it and thats that, i took the smallest of the 6 free fish that i got, a little damsel i think, and i put him in the 210... couple reasons i did this, one, hes soo small, i really think that my eel is gonna eat him... and secondly, i'm getting impatient, i know i need to just chill, but arg... and the way i see it, if he's gonna die anyway cause of the eel, well, then he might as well serve a purpose before he dies and help in some small way in cycling the tank...

besides, in the little 20 QT tank he and the foxface and the others are in, its kinda crowded and he was getting bullied around, this way he has the run of the 210 all to himself, well, along with a few bristleworms, a couple nass snails and a couple featherdusters... hehehehehe

I think I would have done the same. He'll probably be just fine in the 210. Until you add the eel later on and he still gets eaten :D

A tank that big would make it VERY difficult for such a small fish to add enough toxins to the tank to be concentrated enough to be dangerous, considering your bacteria are going to be catching up quickly. Plus the damsel is super hardy.

I added a domino damsel to my 40g after less than a week after my tank had water in it and he never once had any signs of stress...my 40g should have seen larger concentrations than your 210, not to mention my damsel wasn't a small one. I was also not using a skimmer or doing more than a once a month or so water change.

Yea, and considering that I already have all of the liverock that was in the tank where these fish came from, maybe he can feel a lil like home.

So far he seems happy but they are all super skittish.

Last edited:
Here's a vid of the loneliest damsel in the world. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eXNh5RnI7k]YouTube - The first fish in the 210[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone

so i just keep pluggn along, waiting to see something resembeling a cycle, i'm actually beginning to wonder just how much of a cycle i'm gonna see, or if i'm just eventually gonna see my nitrates start climbing... cause of the already cycled rock i put in there...

as of this morning everything was almost exactly the same as the last set of measurements were...

i keep doing a 5 gal water change on my q-tank every day, take the old water and put it into the new 210, and put new fresh water into the q-tank, i'm hoping that this, incombination with the amonia that the lonliest little fishie are making will help the tank cycle....

i gotta practice some patients...

Back