Photo Class Homework

Tanked, your first shot is very successful! Those curved lines draw the viewer's eyes back into the shot, wonderful! There is a lot of extra stuff in there, specifically the power lines breaking the eye's path, and that is something you'll have to keep an eye on in future shots.

In the second shot you did a good job of structuring your picture frame. The trees block you but the lines curve you around them and back into a "mystery zone". That is very successful eye movement!

These aren't the prettiest or the coolest shots in the world but for the purposes of this assignment they are extremely successful! When we move on to more inspirational subject matter, be sure you keep the movement going!

Catherine

PHOTO CLASS ANNOUNCEMENTS

Tonight we will be doing class in the Home chat room. This will be our last text chat as Alexander has found a cool voice chat that I'm working on getting set up!

If you haven't done the line assignment, please put it on your calendar. This one is important! You can do assignments late.

See you in class tonight!

C

Going out for my walk right now.

Hope to get motivated been a rough couple of days this past weekend.

I like yotes pic from behind the cannon. It feels like you are sitting there aiming at the enemy's bunker behind that wall.

Would I still be able to participate in the chat if I dont have a mic for the computer? Will there still be a chat box incase I have a question to ask?

Lines.

Hope these will work. It is very grey out today and snowy also.

Some car tracks in the snow at a parking lot

dsc01820.jpg

The power lines going through a park

dsc01821.jpg

The edge of a plowed road

dsc01823.jpg

A picnic table covered in snow

dsc01825.jpg

You've heard of foot steps in the... Snow???

dsc01826.jpg

I will most likely either miss again or be late. We are meeting my in-laws for dinner tonight because they are leaving on vacation tomarrow. If some one could post the chat dialog, I would very much appreciate it.

I will try to get back by 8 tonight but I know how my wife and MiL can get:mrgreen:

damnit im a loser, I didnt get my homework done this week. im really sorry. ill post double homework if your willing to accept late work :)

see you in 45 still on you website in chat i assume? whats the link again?

btw if you have an invite to the session you should not have to use phone. unless im mistaken you can just click the web address and hear the live lesson

Last edited:
AG! WOW! I can't find much to nit pick on those!

in the first shot, the leaf?, try rotating it and have the line come in from the bottom. That would give the viewer an "path" to enter the shot. Also, look at your negative space. If you can't make it work for your picture, I would crop it out?

The second shot, bubbles, works for me! the hand is in a quadrant with the fingers placed giving plenty of lines and negative space to lead the viewer into the interesting textures of the bubbles. The negative space in the back is angled to stop the viewer from leaving. I want you to hang on to this shot because once we hit it with editing software, you'll be ready to frame that! Good job!

Rose, to me is cropped wrong. The stem is placed awkwardly, your negative space does nothing to enhance the textures and the strong angular line of the front petal pushes your eye right out of the shot. The texture is beautiful but you need to think about the space around it!

Nose, nice job. Your lines and shapes keep the eye moving from texture to texture. Your negative space works. This needs some editing help to bring out your highlights and to give it depth. Hold on to this shot! We'll use it soon for editing.

Shoes: good job. The contrast of the white and black is interesting. The wood grain keeps the eye moving and the texture of the shoes is awesome. Again, save this for editing!

Nice textures!

AG: Extra Credit homework: Can you do the texture assignment on your tank?

C

Photo class participants:

I've been playing around with photobucket and I'm not very impressed with this program. It can help you get better shots but the capabilities are limited. In digital photography the editing is just as important as the picture taking. Editing software can cost a fortune and I'm trying to keep this class as cheap as possible. Choices: Stick with photobucket OR I like Adobe Lightroom but it is very expensive: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65007312-Photoshop-Lightroom-2/dp/B0018VH8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1267065001&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2: Software[/ame]

OR Adobe Photoshop Elements not as expensive and can do extra cute photo type projects: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65045174-Photoshop-Elements-8/dp/B002ID8R3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1267065108&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Elements 8: Software[/ame]

I use a combo of Lightroom and Photoshop (not the elements shown here the real Photoshop). I got a free copy of Elements and it has a lot of power.

If we want to invest in a program we would do several classes on how to use it and editing would become a huge part of your photography. Opinions?

C

Texture and Shape Homework

The first set is a a series of textures involved in making sour dough bread. I made some today and had my camera handy.

The texture of the proof after fermenting over night

ProofTexture.jpg

The texture of the dough before rising

DoughRising.jpg

The texture of the finished bread

BreadTexture.jpg

Some shape pictures from a recent walk around the neighborhood

TreesShape.jpg

Trees2Shape.jpg

BJ, you made me hungry for sourdough! What's your recipe? :) I like your last shot how the trees lead you further into the shot, but the snow drift stops the eye at the end.

Back