Photo Class Homework

Are you like one of those obnoxiously thin blonde girls that eat one french fry and then complain about how fat they are?

I can tell you that Alexander is in fact ridiculously thin (and even blond at times), but I can also assure you that he does not stop at just one french fry!! ;) I have seen this man take over an all-you-can-eat buffet in Vegas, LOL.

Ok yes it probably was a really lame way to preface my pictures. And no I'm totally not one of those obnoxious blondes. I love TONS of my photography. I have just felt really out of it when it comes to ideas this last month. Every shot seems kinda like ah what the hell, instead of this will make an awesome photo.

Ill have you know I show off my best photos on my flickr page and I love doing it and am definitely not modest, yet not having a head too big to walk through the door.

I definitely could have worded my frustrations better, ib think maybe it was more tough for me to step outside the world of shooting just whatever looks cool and focusing on a completely specific subject.

Alexander, I'm glad this assignment frustrated you. It's good to crawl out of your box every now and then and look at the world differently! Remember, we aren't trying to get good pictures with these exercises but we are looking at getting successful images. I think you had some very good things going on in some of your shots. I didn't think you were really one of those obnoxious types. You'll set yourself up for a "photographer's block" if you expect too much from yourself!

C

Looks like I won't be on, I'm sorry. All I have is my phone and I am not home, was going to teather it to my netbook but I'm having problems with it.

Wow, Catherine, colors ended up being a lot harder than I thought it would be. :( Especially when trying to incorporate the other things we've learned so far. So, here goes....these are some first attempts:

colors001.jpg

colors005.jpg

colors004.jpg

colors003.jpg

color002.jpg

AG, those are some great color shots! You kinda cheated a bit though. There is a reason we didn't do editing software yet, we're trying to learn how to see! Color is the hardest shoot we do. You did a good job in your first shot and your still life is very, very close. Try to set up an analogous color scheme and then add in a complimentary color. Read the last paragraph on page 77 and page 78. Peterson suggests looking to the macro world to help find good color compositions. Maybe that will help?

8-12-complementary-colors.jpg

AG, ooooohhh, I'm so sorry. Your shots look really, really fabulous! I think it would help your eyes if you practiced more. I'm really nit picking here I really think it would help though. Sorry.

C

I really think it would be worth it for us to use Photoshop Elements as our editing software of choice. Photobucket is very minimalist and we are doing this class to become photographers. This Sunday, I'll do Photoshop Elements starting at 8:00 and Photobucket at 9:00. If you wish to participate in the Elements class you can download the free 30 day trial here: Adobe - Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and HP

It would help if we all have the same version so let's go with Elements 8.

If you want to purchase it this is about the best price I can find [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65045174-Photoshop-Elements-8/dp/B002ID8R3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1267712794&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Elements 8: Software[/ame]

If you have absolutely NO experience with photoshop then I suggest you only open the program to make sure it will work for you and don't try to use it yet. This is an easy program to learn but getting stuff opened can be difficult.

I know money is an issue for all of us so I'm sorry to pick an expensive program. The benefits are enormous and I think if you want to be a great photographer then you need to make the investment.

Catherine

To help with the color composition also look at the shots in your book on pages 82 and 83. Do you see how the photographer uses colors in big areas to move your eye around? Especially in the chair shot, the lines of the chair and in the yellow help but the blue and yellow contrasts and makes very interesting negative spaces.

Here are some more good examples in your book.

A good analogous color scheme is found on page 94, the truck and people shot.

A good complimentary color scheme is found on page 115.

Page 119 bottom right the picture of the grill thing.

Analogous: page 121

Tanked, you'll probably hate this one: The shot on page 141 is just awesome in its use of color! Reds and greens AND yellows and blues, very vibrant!

Here is one of the best color shots I have seen, ever. It's from a photographer that I have become a huge fan of:

801304801_FUsoQ-O.jpg

How many ways it this an awesome shot?

Look at his lines and shapes. Do you see how his horizon line brings the viewer's eye to focus on the striped fish? There is a definite path to that fish both from the sides, the lines created by his rock, and from the front, the urchin and the sponges point your eye right to that striped fish. Heck, he even got his clown to point your eye to that fish! So, successful use of lines and shapes, that's one awesome thing. Next can we talk about texture? This is absolutely sumptuous. The sand is not washed out but instead he managed to capture a nice even rocky feel the fuzzy gorgonians and the squishy sponges and the brilliant ripples. There are two absolutely brilliant textures going on here first the blobby is that a hairy mushroom? Frogspawn? Look how the light graces the top and gives your eye enough to "feel" the playful texture there. If it was lit evenly it would be pretty but not give you the feeling of that coral. My favorite texture is the echoed use of spikes in the urchin up front and then the starburst on the upper back right. I think it is another urchin up there but I'm not sure. By echoing that spikey shape it keeps your eye moving. There are no dead spaces. The lines and the textures keep you grooving around this shot and every where your eye rests there is something interesting for you to enjoy. Finally the use of color and light here are absolutely awesome. The lines and shapes and textures bring your eye to that stripey fish. Then, the vertical lines in the stripey fish echoed by the vertical lines of the gorgs bring your eye up to that wicked color burst in the top. By bringing the viewer's eyes upward he is creating a feeling of inspiration. The texture of the ripples and those rich watery blues, yellows, aquas, orange..... All of those colors are in the bottom in the sponges, the fishes and the corals. The negative space in the right and left make the colors POP out. I think this is a great combination of all the things we've been talking about the past few weeks! Awesome get, Dennis!

Hope this helps with your color shots!

Catherine

How much are they asking for the camera and do they describe the condition of the lens? You can get them new for around 100 dollars. What do you want to shoot and where do you want to post? If you want to shoot your tank the flash is automatic so it could create problems with glare. It's an auto-exposure camera. If the lens was in good shape I might pay about 30.00 for it so I could have something to take on a canoe or someplace muddy, dirty or the possibility of theft was high (like with my daughter to camp).

Catherine

So here's my color homework. I know we only needed 2 pics, but I had so much fun with this assignment that I wanted to share more. I took 150 pictures today, and these are the best from the lot.

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Back