monkiboy's tank thread

that is a really good idea, i might do that , its hard to reach into the bottom of my 23 inch deep tank with the canopy on top. i have half my arm underwater haha

thanks guys. the only thing i would change is the syringe. i think i might pick up a bigger one that is better made so that i can suck up more food and it has a rubber seal/gasket to make a 100% air tight seal. version 1.1 will work fine for a while, though.

nano* you could obviously just use the entire hanger and definitely cut/trim/bend to fit your tank and canopy and location of corals. that'd be great!

oh, forgot to mention...i placed my first order with liveaquaria from their diver's den. ordered an aussie elegance coral, red open brain coral, and a fiji trumpet coral. it's all arrive tuesday. i'm excited! i'll be sure to post pics when they arrive!

Awesome idea! I think I might steal it also! I just gave away all my tubing to my friend tho. That always happens. You have something forever without using it, you give it away and then you need it Haha. Oh well its cheap, ill get more. Can't wait to see the pics of the new corals!

got my order of corals in! they look splendid!

they were shipped very well and seem pretty good in the photos considering this only five or so minutes after putting them in. can't wait to find permanent spots for them and watch them open up over the next few days!

open brain -

20120207_192434.jpg

elegance coral:

20120207_192502.jpg

trumpet coral:

20120207_192516.jpg

thanks guys!

yeah i read about the indo elegance being impossible to keep in my research of the corals beforehand. that is why i picked up an aussie, they are actually all aussie. thanks, though!

Nice pick-ups! I love elegance, and I was soooooo bummed when I lost mine. I'll be watching to see how your elegance does before deciding whether to get another one.

Nice pick-ups! I love elegance, and I was soooooo bummed when I lost mine. I'll be watching to see how your elegance does before deciding whether to get another one.

thanks!

the one you lost, was it an aussie or indo or other? i really like it. there seems to be nothing else really like it and the aussie coloring on this guy are beautiful. i'll be sure to post update on things.

my phosphates have been bad lately and i keep developing just a smidge of cyano and that's when i know i need to test and do a water change. the AWS is great, but now that i'm used to the convenience of it, i now find myself complaining about having to make salt water, haha. i wish i had a larger reservoir for it as my 32 gallon depletes every 12 days or so. i ordered two more buckets from BRS of the 175 gallons to hold me off for a while but i turned it off because i ran out of salt the last week and so the phosphates have climbed.

my chaeto is growing ridiculously which is good. i grow a women's fist-size about every week!

i ordered a GFO reactor and BRS' ultra-uber-super-awesome whatever GFO so that'll get installed soon. between that and the back to regular scheduled automatic water changes, it should dominate my phosphate issue as i don't want to reduce feeding because the corals are thriving and growing like crazy at their current feeding schedule.

i'll update accordingly.

thanks!

oh and just ordered my new lights!

ordered two 12" 24-LED modules from dave at nano-box-reef.com

the controller this guy has created is amazing, the light output sensational, and the quality of the components top notch - i think i'm in for a treat. hopefully build time isn't too long.

this will also allow me to have complete PC control of my light's spectrum, timing, intensity, dusk/dawn, storms, etc without having to pick up an aquarium controller to connect to. this is great because my sump is on a lower level than my tank so running wires to and from wasn't practical and this works out very cleanly and keep the wires to a minimum and tidy, like i like it.

here's a PAR video of one 24-LED units on a 30" wide x 18" tall x 15" deep. my tank is about the same but 36" wide and i will be running two of 24-LED units so i will have some excellent coverage and PAR values to sustain the clams i want to get and really anything i want to get!

Nano Box 12" LED Unit PAR Readings

here's a video of the controller effects. that with the soundtrack playing got me super excited to pick these up, haha

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curMHrhkhdM"]Nano Box Controller Teaser[/ame]

and lastly, if anyone wants to buy my 36-48" marineland reef-ready LED setup, let me know! i'll be posting them up for a great price in the classifieds soon!

the bubble coral is officially named "happy" because of that funny yet kind of creepy smile it does with its mouth throughout the day when it's fully extended, haha.

it must be really content with it's new location, the much lower flow, and lighting because it it just expanding further and further every day. it almost has taken over the island of rock it's on, haha!

20120208_145921.jpg

she does all the way into the rock and to the right and left, it's crazy how she squeezes in everywhere around her skelton!

20120208_145859.jpg

and there's that smile again...creeper

20120208_150818.jpg

and then i went to the LFS and sold them a bunch of chaeto that has been really doing well in my refugium under the new bulb and two pulsating xenia frags (yay store credit) and just couldn't leave empty handed. i really want some vibrant colors for my tank and for the new lights to accentuate and boy oh boy, when i saw this guy, i had to have it!

20120208_160341.jpg

Last edited:
love that brain!
i actually get that a lot :mrgreen:

quick question the red brain isn't fairing so well and showing more skeleton through the flesh than when it first arrived.

i'm reading again that these guys like moderate to high lighting but thought i'd start it off low and over the course of the day move it up but it also says they like to be in the sand. this came mounted on a rock so i guess i could dig the whole thing in the sand when my new lights come that will have higher intensity but for now i moved it higher.

can you think of anything else that might be causing this?

i also thought that the nearby elegance might be stinging it? would that cause stress and this behavior?

you can see the before (2 days ago) and the today is here:

20120207_192434.jpg

20120208_195720.jpg

It actually doesnt look to bad to me, just like its a bad hair day, nothing that a few days wont fix. But these guys can be very sensitive to alk swings, im not sure if you have had anything like that in the past few days. But I would move it farther away from the elegance coral, the two will fight.

It actually doesnt look to bad to me, just like its a bad hair day, nothing that a few days wont fix. But these guys can be very sensitive to alk swings, im not sure if you have had anything like that in the past few days. But I would move it farther away from the elegance coral, the two will fight.

ok, great. it wasn't a cheap one (liveaquaria) and it's really beautiful so i want to see this one thrive. i moved it up off the ground where the elegance is so hopefully that helps, too.

i've been out of salt these past 2.5 weeks so my regular auto water changes have been on a standstill but two buckets are arriving friday, so hopefully i can get my alk, calc, and phosphates back in order and steady.

thanks a ton.

Back