monkiboy's tank thread

picked up a new guy - a sun polyp coral! he's already got his mouths open begging for food after two small feedings today and he just got put in today, too! rather that than not eating at all i suppose. i really like the colors this guy adds to the tank and has me thinking of some more rics i want to pick up for the garden on the other side to compliment him.

beautiful guy...

20120126_000035.jpg

Wow that is beautiful! I love it. A colony of those would look great in my new nano

yeah, and it'd be so simple to spot feed him a few times a week as is required, in a nano, too. a bit tougher with a "bigger" tank that's in-wall.

can't wait for my h20 coral life feeder, already!

Yea that's the thing that stopping me from getting one. Idk if I want to feed each individual head.

yeah, i'm been pretty passionate about getting one for about a year after reading an in depth research study on growth, background, and feeding. the hardest thing is usually getting them fed as they traditionally only like night hours unless they are conditioned otherwise and this one spends about 16 hours open, so it's great and a jump start i'm please with in my purchase.

also, i placed it in a more open area to make it easier to spot feed and might try the bowl method of encapsulating the food with a bowl over the coral to be sure all the heads get a chance at food without neighboring animals stealing the good stuff.

ok, so rearranged the rock again. the minimalist thing just wasn't for me and my fish didn't seem to like it too much either. here are some updated random photos and some of new corals. some of them are of the corals in different places as i found their new homes.

20120126_001908.jpg

20120201_220707.jpg

20120201_220713.jpg

SMILE - this is one happy bubble coral!

20120131_235143.jpg

20120202_003550.jpg

20120202_003601.jpg

20120131_235156.jpg

20120131_234037-3.jpg

Looks really good!

Is that a long tentacled plate coral? I have heard stories about those guys being hard to keep, im not really sure why, but I would keep and eye on it and just give it a little extra TLC

Looks wonderful! If thats your current rock scape then I'd still consider that minimalist. Great job. All the corals looks great also! I really love that sun coral.

oh, and i really need to get bob an anenome because he keeps sleeping and playing with the bubble coral and duncan and they don't like it very much. i can't imagine the bubble with it's skeleton as sharp as it is feels very good but bob doesn't seem to mind at all. the picture was taking during sleep hours so forgive the poor quality. need to upgrade my lights and then get an anenome for the guy.

20120127_013608.jpg

Looks really good!

Is that a long tentacled plate coral? I have heard stories about those guys being hard to keep, im not really sure why, but I would keep and eye on it and just give it a little extra TLC

yes it's a long tentacle plate coral. i'll make sure to give it some extra lovin' and report back any troubles. it's super hardy, though, seemingly. it acclimated very well, eating quickly, didn't shrivel up even really out of water. i was surprised - i think this girl's got good days ahead!

Looks wonderful! If thats your current rock scape then I'd still consider that minimalist. Great job. All the corals looks great also! I really love that sun coral.

really -- this is minimalist? haha. ok! i really dig the sun coral, too but he eats a lot and i don't want to over feed, either but it sure is fun!

so i ordered a h20 coral life feeder but it kept going on back order. i saw a lot folks using turkey basters but that didn't seem ideal as my tank has limited room to work with from above (it's in-wall) and certain corals or in "unreachable" areas of the tank.

i got to thinking how i could make my life easier and DIY something and came up with the below.

i went to CVS and got a free plastic plunger/syringe thingie. they had a basket full of them. i think they are used for kids medicine dosing, not sure.

took a coated hanger (no metal exposed), the plunger/syringe, some air line tubing i had laying around, and electrical tape.

i pushed the air-line tubing on the end of the syringe which was a nice and tight fit.

20120203_191720.jpg

i straightened a piece of the hanger section and wrapped it in electrical tape just to be sure no metal got exposed and it avoided water contact (i'm paranoid).

20120203_192532.jpg

and electrical taped the air-line tubing to the side of the wire and that was that!

20120203_200408.jpg

i left some sections visible so i could see how much food was being sucked up and if there was residue or food stuck.

but now i can angle the feeder exactly like i need and i can reach all those tough places with no hands in the tank! tested it out tonight with some cylcops, mysis, and rod's food, and it worked exceptional. feeding the individual heads on the sun-coral was so much easier and everyone is happy!

Back