Reef's 210g. Journal

I love the color on the coral there freak! Im gonna think about getting the lights that you have! I wanted to do LED's because they provide good color and are cool but im leaning towards no. Not sure they support the life i'll have.

Now that you are online Doc,

You mention at one time that if I was going to have multiple tangs that get one from one species and than from another.

My eye has been on a Chevron and Purple.Although I read to only have one Purple Tang and no other tangs cause they are so aggressive.Lets say I go with Powder Brown(Acanthurus japonicus),then Chevron(Ctenochaetos hawaiienis) and finally a Purple(Zebrasoma xanthurum).How does that sound,if not instead of a Purple tang I like to go with a Naso but darn they grow xxlarge.

I love the color on the coral there freak! Im gonna think about getting the lights that you have! I wanted to do LED's because they provide good color and are cool but im leaning towards no. Not sure they support the life i'll have.

You were going to get the Solaris LED fixture?
I think the Aquactinics TX5 would be perfect for your fitty.

Oh yeah,even better than the TX5.I would of recommended them but I didn't think you were going to spend that much money on lights.I'm sure you already know that its going to be additional $200 worth of bulbs.Don't forget that fixture is 14'' wide and I think your tank is only 12'' wide.Now that I think about it,the TX5 would be a better fit.

on the tangs i would have to say look into the yellow tangs first.
I have 2 that get along well , they are a good hardy fish and not to hard on the wallet, they do get a lil big tho,

Reef,

Let me see, three tangs in a 210. That should work. You do know that the Chevron Tang does not stay the pretty orange color its whole life? It turns into a dull brownish color. I like the powder brown, but in the Acanthurus family, I am a fan of the Sohal - which will keep up with the aggressiveness of the Zebramosa family. Most of the Acanthurus family are quite fragile, specifically: Powder Blue / Brown, Achilles and Whitecheek. I have had poor luck with the purple tang, but other people will not indicate that they are super aggressive. Mine killed three of my prized fish about 8 months ago.

Let me know what you decide. BTW the Naso will get over a foot long. You did not mention the Regal Tang - they are in a family all their own and get along with other tangs just fine. Good luck.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Damn,this is going to be harder than picking anthias.It seems like the Acanthurus family seems to have all the ones I like the best-but like you said they are fragile not to mention that many of them grow very large.

The Regal tang-sorry Doc no Dory's for me.Does the Sohal look better in person because in the picks I've seen of them they didn't look so hot.,well at least to me.

What do you think about this....Blue Zoo Aquatics :: Products Detail

and....Blue Zoo Aquatics :: Products Detail

Is this basically a Powder Brown?.......Blue Zoo Aquatics :: Products Detail

Maybe I'll go with two tangs and a rabbitfish.

Acanthurus don't get too big - just about 10 inches. Many are just fragile. The last pic wasn't a powder brown, it was a white cheek tang. If you want to add two Acanthurus, be my guest, but put them in the same day with the lights out and cross your fingers. If they are both small, you should be fine. Sohal tangs are GE-OR-GEEEEEE-OUS! The orange and blue in them is striking. Place your best bet my friend, and jump in.

Okay Doc you talked me into it....a Sohal it is then but I like one more tang.Just stay out the Acanthurus family,right?I like to add that Blue Eye Kole Biff likes.

Should I add the Blue Eyed(Cteno)first or introduce them both at the same time.Please say I can add one then the other.They are both $100 fish after all and I am a poor man.

ADD THE SOHAL LAST!!!!!!!! They get territorial in about 30 seconds. make sure you get a medium small Sohal as well, they are less aggressive. Feed liberally and you will absolutley LOVE that fish. I have plans for an 8 incher in a few months, after my 125 stabilizes. Sohals love to swim and are SOOO active. No hiding for them, they are all about the exercise.

Thanks Doc for your wealth of knowledge on these fish.
The small Sohal(3''-4'') runs nearly $100.I don't even want to think what a big one would cost.The Sohal will be last when the time comes.

hmmm $100 sounds pretty pricey. I can get them for about $65-80. Keep checking. I bet you can find one cheaper. I don't think any fish is worth $100 except for vlamingi tangs, big angels or really rare fish. Just my :twocents:

Dr.Marco
The soal tangs at lfs around here are $120+
infact i have never seen 1 less than that

purple tangs and chevrons are pretty high too
my yellows ran $30 ea.
my Blue regal was a freebie
the sailfin was $80
the powder brown that crashed my 55 was $39

Purple tangs that i have seen are anywhere from $60 to 130 depending on size

all these are local prices so figuring shipping charges will give you more accurate price

IMO i would get with a LFS and go over prices w/them
im kinda weerie on ordering fish online.

WOW, I never knew how lucky I was living in this state. purple tangs are about $55-70, depending on size. Yellow tangs are $20. I guess I wll be able to stock my tanks for pretty cheap as compared to other places.

thats why you have the expencive angels huh! lol
Man those are great prices

now I will say my yellows are what Dr. f&S would call large,
the LFS prices for blue hippos are $50 to $60

Back