monkiboy's tank thread

That will be a fine cleanup crew for your tank.

However, is it too late to return the coral banded shrimp? They are well known for being model citizen until they get large enough to go after your other inverts and fish.

algae scrubber screen at 1.5 weeks:

WP_002194.jpg

PS - not due to performance, i will be switching to a skimmer. i've been reading non-stop amazing reviews on the AquaC EV-180 protein skimmer and the final touch is when i saw the "new york steelo" guy had one and it's performance and review from him. turns out it's the only skimmer that will fit in my sump space due to it's unique design in footprint. i might have to run it external but i haven't heard of any leaks or problems with this model doing so but i am going to do what i can to get it internal to the sump but space is tight.

also, the GSP has opened up some more, she's looks better and better.

WP_002199-1.jpg

That will be a fine cleanup crew for your tank.

However, is it too late to return the coral banded shrimp? They are well known for being model citizen until they get large enough to go after your other inverts and fish.

the coral banded shrimp i currently have and he's actually been with me for four years in two different tanks - larry is that guy's name. he is quite large and molts about every five weeks. he's about three inches eyes to tail and five inches claw to claw.

WP_002165-1.jpg

but he's never been a problem for me. perhaps i am lucky? he has eaten two snails but they weren't doing well and probably needed to be eaten by larry, haha. i have two other snails that have been with me four the same four years that larry has always been around and he never bugs them. they've gotten huge, too, though so maybe that's why.

so unless larry starts going after the corals or changes his dietary habits, he's a keeper. i really enjoy him in my tank.

thank you for the concern and alerting me to it.

Ya, i havent got much of life ...

but the CBS usually catch the small fish that hide in the rocks, so this might be something to keep in mind in the future when you are adding fish. They commonly catch gobies, blennies, dragonettes etc. However, they wont go after corals, those guys are safe!

Wow that's a lot of snails! Haha. They should have your tank sparkling! Love the banded shrimp. He's a beauty! Your algae scrubber looks like its growing some nice stuff on it.

so restarting the tank isnt like starting over? I understand there is less die off but stirring up a lot of stuff could start another cycle which explains the diatom bloom and with a new cycle wouldnt that mean it would take time to add fish?

depends on how much save or change? He removed all the old substrate but keep the rock wet, so he really didnt change a whole lot in the grand scheme of things in regards to resetting up the tank. But i would still wait a few weeks just to be on the safe side before adding another fish

ok, took lots of measurements and looked at way too many sump designs. i'll be running my skimmer external and on top of the sump on the top left side on a panel.

sumpfinalv2-1.jpg

found a local getting rid of a few established tanks and needs to do so on the move and will discount things for me further than listed but here is some of the things he wrote out for me. which of the frags would/should be of interest in your opinion given my lighting situation and tank setup? i was thinking duncans, zoanthids, xenia, and candy canes.

zoanthids/Palys:
Green Bay Packers - $10
Ricordias - $15 per polyp
Yuma - $50
Mushrooms - $10 per polyp
Red Montipora - $10
Green Montipora - $5-20
Darth Maul Porites - $80
Sunset Undata - $50
Monitors digita - $35
Green Birdsnest - $10-50
ORA Birds of Paradise - $10-30
Ponape Birdsnest - $10-35
LOBO - $180
Purple Candy Canes - $15-40
Xenia - $10
Green Star Polyps - $5
Psammacora - $15-80
Hollywood Stunner Chalice - $20
Watermelon Chalice - $200
Duncan - $15-80
Sun Corals - $30
acropora sp. - $15-40
Favia - $100
Hynophora - $10
Acan echinata - $20-60
Liposerios - $40
Neon green candy canes - $15-75
Other zoanthids $10

Live rock $2 per pound

oh and here's a pic of my GSP at night and day...pretty rad, haha. from my elementary understanding, there is some nice extension going on. i'm thrilled!

WP_002204-1.jpg

WP_002208-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ricordia, yumas are amazing. I love them. They glow very well. And maybe the acans. They are doing great in my tank.

the sun coral is a real nice piece and they are not bad to keep up with on feeding, every few days just fill up your feeder and give them a little and then chop up some fresh shrimp once and awhile and give them a little ..:D

i went and met up with that guy with the above stock list but most of the good stuff was gone. i still picked up a few frags, though.

i am a bit worried, though. i dipped them in Revive Coral Cleaner per the dilution and time specified then in my water from my DT before putting them in the DT. once i took them out of the DT rinse and into the DT, they started secreting this white slime.

do they need to be removed? is this bad for the tank? are the frags ok or are they decomposing or something?

my first two frags did not do this in the least so i'm concerned...

WP_002224.jpg

WP_002228.jpg

Hmmm. I know mushrooms slime up when they are ticked off. Maybe you just really ticked them off? Not too sure honestly. I'd just watch them for right now. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon. I hope bc now I'm curious. That's weird.

Hmmm. I know mushrooms slime up when they are ticked off. Maybe you just really ticked them off? Not too sure honestly. I'd just watch them for right now. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon. I hope bc now I'm curious. That's weird.
yeah, i'm not sure. i'm surprised that in my searches i could not find similar photos on any other forums, either.

if you look above, the frogspawn that i got from another place, when in and out of the dip and tank water, has a slimy coat on it but not enough that it would strand out like these have. maybe a protective barrier secretion of sorts?

it just reminded me of what my BTA released years ago as it died - hopefully this is very different.

for what it is worth, after an hour, they are secreting much less white stringy slime/goo but still all retracted and closed up. fish and parameters are all the same and look active and healthy so i'm gonna give this til the morning and check early in the AM.

Back