monkiboy's tank thread

most soft corals (all the ones you listed) will do just fine with some nitrates. Also those sponges never seem grow into the lighted areas, so I wouldnt worry about it

when i bought my rock it had a bunch of lime green sponges. they grow in light, but i cant complain they are much brighter than my kryptonite candycanes

oh great stuff, guys! i feel like such a newb, excited by everything, haha.

if you guys order online, where do you typically go? is there a swell place for frags? looks like the sale is over that i was hoping to catch but maybe i'll try the LFS anyway.

i personally love SaltCritters Live Coral and More. Are You Salty? great stuff. they have a chat section also ask any questions about the coral. it is a homerun buisness and they always have a bunch or zoa mushroom, lps, and a few sps coral
seems to be too good to be true. amazing prices and shipment quotes.

looked them up and looks like there is a lot of complaints starting from 2008.

never had a problem. i might try a really small order since it's so cheap and see the quality of what arrives and condition. they are only two day shipping so that's good.

what is the proper way to acclimate zoas, polys, corals in general?

i read that i should be dipping them?

"The dip procedure to kill surface disease is 20 minutes in 1 liter of 100 percent captive reef water that has 10 drops of 5 percent Lugols solution (or 20 drops of the tincture of iodine found at local drug stores which is typically a 2.2 percent solution). You can then place the coral or fragment into your reef"

are the ones you buy usually attached to a piece of stone already? if not, i gotta buy a frag kit or some stones online.

thanks for the link and help!

For good frags I like www.coralmorphalogic.com and MrCoral.com Mr Coral has $10 & $20 frags and free shipping over $125.

For acclimation, I only float the bags to temp acclimate my corals and then I just place them right in my DT. If you do dip, the instructions you posted are the way to do it. Make sure to place your corals on the sand bed to start and slowly move them up to where you want them in the tank, to acclimate them to your lights.

Great build so far, looks really sleek inside of the wall.
thanks, it looks great but makes working around it and getting things set up properly a huge pain in the arse. had to get creative with some things.

For good frags I like www.coralmorphalogic.com and MrCoral.com Mr Coral has $10 & $20 frags and free shipping over $125.

For acclimation, I only float the bags to temp acclimate my corals and then I just place them right in my DT. If you do dip, the instructions you posted are the way to do it. Make sure to place your corals on the sand bed to start and slowly move them up to where you want them in the tank, to acclimate them to your lights.

thank you for the links and info on acclimation. assuming i don't see any dead tissue or other problems i'll probably just temp acclimate like you stated.

I think dipping your corals is one of the most important things you can do, helps keep nasty hitchhikers from entering your tank.

little*, do you dip the way mentioned above? if not, please describe what you do. on second thought, i wouldn't want anything else to deal with right now or something to ruin all the hard work i've put into the tank to get it into its current shape.

Looks great!

thank you so much, you've been so kind and helpful!

I just put them directly into a contain of tank water, add the amount of reef dip as suggested and then i let them sit for 20 minutes. Then i get a another container of tank water and shake the coral like mad in the clean water. Then into the tank it goes, near the bottom.

If I had all the money and fish space I could ever want, I would actually QT the corals for a week in another tank (after the dip). But I dont, so I cant. Someday I hope though.

just found out viewing the mr. coral site that they are local! about twenty five minutes away with free pickup on all those $10 frags, um...i think i found my new favorite store, haha!

thanks so much for the link. ordering some and picking up tomorrow!

I just put them directly into a contain of tank water, add the amount of reef dip as suggested and then i let them sit for 20 minutes. Then i get a another container of tank water and shake the coral like mad in the clean water. Then into the tank it goes, near the bottom.

excellent, thanks!

Lucky! You better post pics of those frags!

will do. there is A LOT of bad reviews on mr.coral so now i don't know what to make of it. it seems TONS of these online retailers have substantial amount of credible complaints. kind of scary there are that many sellers with bad reps doing the same thing with live-stock. i am hoping that by picking them up i can avoid a lot of the problems people were having with not getting what they saw, poor shipping, or DOAs, as i'll obviously be seeing everything i get before i leave the store.

i will definitely post pics!

if one of the frags comes off its base, can i reattach simply using any super glue or gorilla glue or plumbing epoxy? is that safe for the corals?

Super glue (and I highly suggest using the gel form) is reef safe. Also I havent heard of too many complaints about Mr. Coral, but I have heard that his corals have come with pests so be sure to inspect them very carefully and dip.

Super glue (and I highly suggest using the gel form) is reef safe. Also I havent heard of too many complaints about Mr. Coral, but I have heard that his corals have come with pests so be sure to inspect them very carefully and dip.
thank you, i'll pick up some fragging supplies to be prepared including gel super glue. i am absolutely dipping, thanks!

I think as long as you see them first and they look good you should be safe. Doesn't hurt to check it out right? Oh and yes you can attach them with superglue or epoxy. Just make sure its water safe epoxy. Most soft corals will slime up when you try to glue them so that makes it very difficult. I always try to gently break the crap plug off bc I hate how they look.

Back