monkiboy's tank thread

in some awesome news, my sump design and construction is complete. came out pretty darn good if i say so myself.

done in 1/2" on the exterior, 1/4" dividers/baffles, and in 3/8" for skimmer rest plate up top. built like a tank! polished the edges for a smooth clean finish and it is officially leak-free!

can't wait to go from this trash can and algae scrubber:

WP_002218.jpg

to my custom sump with quadruple the volume and a skimmer:

WP_002220-1.jpg

WP_002221-1.jpg

WP_002240.jpg
]

Looks good, and that white stuff is normal defense mechanism for the coral. Just give them some time. It generally worse with rough handling

i was rereading my post and i didn't mean to make it sound like i built it. i had chuck of clear and present plastics do it for me. and he did a really bang-up job on it.

thanks to everyone who let me know that it is just a defense mechanism. this location was further away than my first couple frags and i think it was just more stressful for them and perhaps the revive formula is more aggressive. i think i am going to stick with iodine unless my coralRx arrives, then i'll try that for dipping.

my hollywood stunner chalice looks in a real bad way. lost almost all it's "skin" and i presume that is it's skeleton showing on about 45% of it's body? should i just take her out as dead or is it possible for her to turn around despite looking like this? i know they like lower lighting, perhaps move her under the shade of some rock?

WP_002243.jpg

the other frags are doing really well. i really like me some ricordea...they haven't opened up completely but a lot more than last night...

WP_002244.jpg

WP_002242.jpg

oh boy, that stunner looks rough. However, as long as there is still healthy flesh it should come back, it just will take time. Im not sure why it would have such a poor reaction to the dip or traveling. Did you follow the directions correctly? and did the coral recieve an extra rough handling?

oh boy, that stunner looks rough. However, as long as there is still healthy flesh it should come back, it just will take time. Im not sure why it would have such a poor reaction to the dip or traveling. Did you follow the directions correctly? and did the coral recieve an extra rough handling?

i do not understand why it would have such a poor reaction either. i will give it a chance as long as there remains healthy skin, per your guidance.

the only thing i did different from the direction is that instead of four cap-fulls of solution per gallon, i mixed two cap-fulls for half a gallon.

the chalice was taken and placed carefully. it might have been overly jostled in my car in transit? i dont know. i swished it around gently in the water during dipping. that's all i can think of.

thanks for your ideas and help!

I looked up the dip you used and it looks like a really good product, so Im not quite sure what happened. However, i would venture 2 guess: it might have been in the solution for too long, they dont specify how long you should dip it in that stuff and considering the reaction other living critters had on the there, i think that stuff is pretty potent or the solution needed to be diluted more, a few of the things i read mention they only used half strength. Or it could still be rough handling for the chalice.

A thought is that a lot of people in my area have a problem with Hollywood stunner chalices suddenly disintegrating like that once they reach a specific size. I have no idea why they do this or why this is a problem in my area.

I LOVE those rics! I need to find some blue ones like that. Sorry to hear about the chalice. I hope it turns around for you. I would dilute the solution more next time you dip just in case it was that.

I looked up the dip you used and it looks like a really good product, so Im not quite sure what happened. However, i would venture 2 guess: it might have been in the solution for too long, they dont specify how long you should dip it in that stuff and considering the reaction other living critters had on the there, i think that stuff is pretty potent or the solution needed to be diluted more, a few of the things i read mention they only used half strength. Or it could still be rough handling for the chalice.

A thought is that a lot of people in my area have a problem with Hollywood stunner chalices suddenly disintegrating like that once they reach a specific size. I have no idea why they do this or why this is a problem in my area.

yeah, i don't know. it's only getting worse.

WP_002247.jpg

all the others are really looking good. i'll give her a week or so and if she doesn't show any signs of getting better, i'll remove her.

I LOVE those rics! I need to find some blue ones like that. Sorry to hear about the chalice. I hope it turns around for you. I would dilute the solution more next time you dip just in case it was that.

thanks. now that they've opened quite a bit, they DO look good, haha. i won't be using that solution anymore. a trusted reef junkie i know only uses iodine and he has a gorgeous setup, so i'll take the cheap and seemingly effective way and stick with iodine dips. here are some recent pics...

WP_002249-1-1.jpg

WP_002250-1.jpg

WP_002253-1.jpg

WP_002248-1.jpg

my order from BRS arrives tomorrow along with my new-to-me skimmer!

from BRS i got my RO/DI unit coming in. i had to get the chloramines specific one as apparently my water is one of the 10% in the nation that gets treated with it from the municipal water plant.

rodi_1756-chloramine-5-stage-plus.jpg

i took advantage of the free shipping and ordered salt, red sea coral pro salt, 55 gallon mix (normally almost twenty dollars in shipping alone!), as well.

a finnex submersible heater for the sump:

image005_1.jpg

and some reef glue to try out since it was so cheap.

and my skimmer is the aquac ev-180:

RAC01151-2.jpg

super excited to do some new plumbing and get the new sump going with the skimmer! finally get rid of all the microbubbles in my system...

had to get a new mag 9.5 pump for the skimmer and while at this new local fish store, i got another coral and some more snails and crabs. i picked up a GPD and it was only 25 bucks for quite a large piece with at least three heads on it.

the green really pops and i can't wait for it to open up more and more.

here is when first placed int the tank...ps what is the white/pink gob? (is that a new head growing??!)

WP_002274.jpg

then a couple hours later, they should some improvement...

WP_002279.jpg

these and the frogspawn are my favorites! the frogspawn seems to love the light and seems more full and active every day!

the mushrooms don't look too well. i'm gonna put them in even slower flow to see how they fare.

WP_002276.jpg

Looks great! I've found that my mushrooms really don't like a lot of flow. They detach themselves and float away for me to never see them again. So irritating. But when in low flow they open up so huge and beautiful!

Looks great! I've found that my mushrooms really don't like a lot of flow. They detach themselves and float away for me to never see them again. So irritating. But when in low flow they open up so huge and beautiful!
yeah, that's what i'm thinking. i'm gonna put it behind a rock to use as a flow shield.

what i really need is an mp10. sigh. i really dislike having the same darn powerhead on in the same direction at the same speed all day. i might just have to get one. a wave would be epic in a bow, haha.

yeah, i would love a mp10 also. theres a used mp10esw in the classifieds for i believe 210? great price for the wireless one

nano! dude, you just sealed the deal for me, haha!

i'm picking one up. i really want to get both but i really don't need it for this tank.

thanks a ton for that heads up!

score! got one! can't wait to install and get rid of this darn coralia business, haha. oh, picked up another coral, a hammer - ridiculously good deal on it, too! pics later!

Back