Doc's Reef Build

Re: Dr Marco's Reef Build

yeah. good relationships can have that affect on us. As for the anthias, I am just about to give up on them. it seems that they need to have a glass top or egg crate. I am just not into it, so I will change directions (again) in my tank. maybe a nice school of chromis or firefish or a goldfish from petco, I am sure they will sell me one for a salt water tank

-Doc

That sucks!!!My LFS has some really nice Anthias and was looking forward to getting some.Im not to keen on having a glass top or eggcrate either,so i gues ill be going after some other type of pretty fishes.Small school of tangs:Cheers: im diff. getting,like 5-7.

That sucks!!!My LFS has some really nice Anthias and was looking forward to getting some.Im not to keen on having a glass top or eggcrate either,so i gues ill be going after some other type of pretty fishes.Small school of tangs:Cheers: im diff. getting,like 5-7.

hope you are planning on waiting to add those tangs til the 150 is up and running!:mrgreen:

that many tangs can be a problem. you would need to plan carefully and add them in the right order to make sure they all got along. size of the fish is as important as the variety with multiple tangs in a tank

-Doc

I loved mine, but now they are just about all dead, so they can kiss my a$$

-Doc

ooooo nice. I like the way you think. You deserve a nice pat on the back for that one

-Doc

Of Course im gonna wait.Im a newbie, but not that much of one.:DAt least 3 months.First thing ill add is some blue leged hermits and snails.Tangs fight?I didnt know that.

yeah. mixing genus is a bad idea. zebramosa tends to be one of the most aggressive as are acantharus. Not a good idea to mix two from acantharus: powder brown, powder blue, clown tang, achilles tang, sohal tang, they don't mix well in the same tank unless it is HUGE. better to mix one from each. Zebramosa has a much better track record of living than acantharus. Those babies tend to die for no reason. Like the Achilles, best to leave that one alone of it will be in the toliet before the end of the week.

-Doc

I live in a part of the globe where the LATITUDE and LONGITUDE Create a paralell Dimention in this Warped reality, My tangs don't fight, I have 3 Zeberamosa's of varying sizes and Genders, and they have never thought about Fighting, Go Figure,,,

But back to reality.
There is a Great Lil Rant Found on a talking reef podcast. Ep. 6 or 7 Maby 5... But what ever it is at the beginning of the podcast ,
Talkingreef the podcast's are on the left side of the page there is a dropdown menu to select the episode. like i said it isaround 5 6 or 7
all the podcasts are good.

No doc i wasn't being Sarcastic!I actually thought tangs were peaceful. When i scuba dived in Hawaii i never seen a hint of aggression. I guess owning them in a fish tank and seeing them every day really changes things.Are they aggressive with each other or just other fish?

lionfish, you are lucky, you also have a big tank, you also picked the least aggressive zebramosas: yellow tangs and sailfin tangs. toss in a purple and see what happens ;)

tangs are peaceful in the ocean due to the large volume of water and ample hiding places and food. once confined to a tank, the territory and swimming room runs out pretty fast. the more you feed them, the less likely they are to see the other tangs as threats to their survival.

the most peaceful tangs are: naso tangs, yellow tangs, sailfin tangs, and regal tangs. they can generally be combined without too much of a problem. the only downside to the naso and sailfin is that they grow to over a foot each and need at least a 180 to live a full life. things in the ocean are not exactly like what we face in our tanks. those tangs don't have that scalpel on their tails for looks!!! :shock:

-Doc

...Unless its in my tank, where a yellow tang, sailfin tang and yellow eyed kole tang all fight constantly. Beeyotches.

this is what should happen, fighting, but lionfish is either lying, or, is just a lucky guy with his fish.

-Doc

doc...... well I'm back onboard. I've been really lazy on the livingreefs scene lately, but I really like the atlantic blue. I have been toying with the thought of adding 2-3 in my 180. they are one of the only tangs I have read about successfully keeping as a school in a tank, but minimum size is a 180 gal from what I read. I have exactly that but its still on the lower end of the spectrum.

sorry to hear about all your anthias and your issues with the clowns. took me about 5 mins to swoop my clown out of my 36 to take it back to the LFS. hopefully you have some good luck with that

Back