Skimmer pump is almost dead

shanet1975

Reefing newb
Afternoon All....I went to adjust my skimmer today and the bubbles stopped coming. Took it all apart and the magnet is cracked inside. I got it to kind of work until I get a replacement. It says mx 1000 on the pump. I know I should have written down more info because it is a pita to get the pump in and out. Anyone have any clue who makes that? I am trying to search and find one, but am having no luck.,....
Thanks again!!!!

I found this, but the pump I have is connected to the skimmer and has the hose out the top with the adjustable knob thing. Is there a certain kind of pump I should be looking for for a skimmer?
GX1000

You might be able to take the impeller to your LFS and match it up to a new impeller.
What brand skimmer do you have?

I dont know anything about those pumps,but you should be able to get a replacement impeller fairly cheap.

You don't have to get the exact type of replacment pump. You could replace it with anything that moves a similar amount of gallons per hour. I think if you took it to your LFS they'd be able to tell you what kind of pump is comparable.

that is one complex sump. how do you get in there to do anything? The only trick will be to find the proper attachment to the hose into the skimmer. Most pumps have a variety of attachments to try. Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

There is no hose into the skimmer. There is a plastic threaded cylinder (best way I can describe) that screws into the pump and also screws into the skimmer tube. Kind of a pain as I already broake one of the attachements when moving it from where I bought it to my house.
Really tight quarters under the tank. I have to remove the hose coming from the overflow to get the skimmer out. Quite the pain in the butt. Any suggestions on a better setup? Easier and more room would be nice.

You can get thread to barb fittings to go on your pump and skimmer.Then just replace the rigid plastic with vinyl tubing.

That sounds like it makes sense, but I have no clue what it meant :) I'll take a trip to the lfs this weekend and see what he has....
With what you just said is the pump still submerged?

I like to have an entirely open top to my sump so I can get my hands everywhere. While it would be an expense, I would get a new sump, as large as possible, that would fit under my tank. the longer, the better. I am going to make my next sump out of an existing tank, using ideas from here about using silicone to make the baffles and then the whole top is open to work with. I have never been a fan of the enclosed sump. Just me.

I'll have to check that out. I could fit a fairly large tank under the tank I think. Then I would need a new skimmer. Could get quite costly....Oh I don't know. I'll see if there is a way to incorporate the old skimmer into a new sump. The skimmer has a plate that covers the whole top though...

that seems to be a problem. I have seen decent skimmers for $150. It is a sad fact that this hobby is pretty costly, not like keeping hamsters, although bowling them down the stairs in those little balls is quite funny.

:) Thanks for that little flashback. Didn't have stairs growing up, but I do remember them in there little balls.
So...I'll do some measuring and see what size tank I can fit under the tank. The just grab some plexi glass (I asssume that is what is used for the walls inside the tank?). Then, grab a skimmer and I am good....I think....That would be much easier than my current setup. I had a super skimmer I bought new and then sold new as I got everything i the package deal I bought. Paid just under 100 bucks. I've read they are decent. Mine was a hang on the back kind though. What would be a decent inexpensive in the sump skimmer?
Thanks again...

I have an excaliber, but the stopped making them. Just find one that is rated for your size of tank. I believe that they are all about the same, as long as you have one. I am sure I will get crap from people here for saying that, but, oh well. Once you get your tank for your sump, just measure for the plexiglass and use silicone to install them.

Make about three chambers. the first for your overflow from the tank and tie on filter socks to quiet the sound and use for physical filtration, in the second chamber, place your skimmer and UV and in the third, your heaters and return pump back to your tank. Some people get all hot and bothered about setting up costly refugiums, but I think they are not worth the effort. Again, I will catch he!! for saying that, but, my tank runs great without one. Make your baffles about 1/2 the height of the sump tank so the wayer flows in from onw chamber and into the next and so on. Hope this was helpful.

a UV steralizer. It is a piece of equipment that cleans the water and kills bacteria that causes disease, a must if you want to keep tangs. Most tangs contract Ich, a terrible disease that can kill fish, and a UV helps keep it off your fish.

That sounds like it makes sense, but I have no clue what it meant :) I'll take a trip to the lfs this weekend and see what he has....
With what you just said is the pump still submerged?

Yep,The skimmer pump will still be submerged.Only instead of having a stiff rigid piece of plastic between the them,you'd have some vinyl tubing that can be cut and adjusted to fit.

Back