Rwynn's 40g Reef Tank

Added a couple hermit crabs today, they look like they are doing great thus far.

Tried out a biological filter booster to get the tank cycled ASAP...figure It would be better to try things like that out now before I have anything expensive in the tank...the Damsel and crabs are doing great still.

Lowered the SP to 1.023(it had reached 1.025) and added a HOB filter to replace that skimmer and ugly in tank filter(replace as in physical location not in function regards to skimmer) the skimmer wasn't doing anything I could tell, it had started with mass microbubbles but those went away and I didn't really do anything, no skimming, no microbubbles no nuttin, so it may have died.

Hmm, maybe I need a new Hydrometer, it has 1.025 as being on the high side of acceptable. Either way, it is back at 1.025 after a water change(maybe the fact properly mixing my salt mix brings it to 1.025 should tell me something)

Will be nice to get paid soon so I can buy some test strips lol. The ones I was provided had been compromised.

I'm going off, "Is it living? Happy? Eating? " "Yup, ok looks good."

If you want digital tests, you have to buy them all separately, and they are NOT cheap -- at least $200 to $400 apiece. It's not a practical solution for 99.9% of hobbyists.

The only things I check digitally are the PH and temp.I use an older Aqua-Controller to moniter PH and my ReefKeeper Lite keeps track of the temp.

Also with Digital testers you have to calibrate them frequently to keep them accurate. I have purchased 3 - 4 of them and they are a PITA. The only one I use all the time is the temperature one.

Well day 4 of the brown/red slime....think I was grossly overfeeding...T minus 2 weeks until I get my light, fuge, and skimmer! Drip acclimating some more hermits and a Chocolate Chip Seastar right now...

Careful -- chocolate chip stars are not reef safe. If you plan on having corals, you should find a new home for the guy before you add them.

And yeah think ill put the chocolate chip in the 10g that is going in the bed room, think that is too small for the guy? Wife won't let me take the Damsel back to the LFS so I'm getting him his own tank....I'm also doing a 1g pico(or is still nano?) with a rock and some inverts for my desk at work....I'm guessing that is WAY too small for a starfish?

Depends on the star.If you can catch a couple of those little brittle stars that hitch hike in on live rock,I think they would be fine in a pico.

Depends on the star.If you can catch a couple of those little brittle stars that hitch hike in on live rock,I think they would be fine in a pico.

Was referring to the Chocolate Chip...but he moves from 1 end of my tank to the other every 30 minutes or so...seems like he wants to move too much for a small tank.

clowns.JPG

Added my clowns today, they seem to be doing well. They are eating, and are being extremely friendly with my Domino Damselfish(I know creepy). Ordered my lighting just now, and have plans to add some more LR in the coming week...if you notice I am adding a rock or two at a time.

I've decided to go with a 10g sump and will post pics of it once I start work on it. Tomorrow I'm planning to pick up the stuff needed for my stand, pics also on the way for that.

Edit: That rock placement was scary...and has been made more stable :)

Last edited:
Back