Rwynn's 40g Reef Tank

Ok, maybe pics tomorrow, the tank is getting clearer by the hour, but I cannot locate the charger for the camera battery...Christmas is an organization killer.

Right now I'm running the skimmer that came with my sump/wet/dry filter.Its works decent,but I've only got 4 small fish in a 125.I plan to step to an ETSS 800 or so sometime in the spring.
For your size tank,Octopus makes a great HOB skimmer,or I've had good luck with the Corallife super skimmers.

400w of t5 uses the same amount of power and generates the same amount of heat that 400w of MH lights do

+1 james.....same amount of power used and same heat generated...t5's just have longer bulbs, which distribute the heat throughout instead of concentrated in one area like mh's.

Can't wait to see pics!

Right now I'm running the skimmer that came with my sump/wet/dry filter.Its works decent,but I've only got 4 small fish in a 125.I plan to step to an ETSS 800 or so sometime in the spring.
For your size tank,Octopus makes a great HOB skimmer,or I've had good luck with the Corallife super skimmers.

Thanks, The Bakpak is working well and the bubbles are only temp. I'll check out the octo and corals to see the difference. I noticed my LFS had a newer HOB earlier this week too. I didnt see a brand name on it...it was blue if I recall. Looked nice. They were testing one of them on a tank.

As far as lights go...the total heat is the same but isn't the MH more $$$ too compared to t5?

not really just depends on the fixture you get and the tank you have if you have a deep tank than t5's wont work well so MH lights are used for deep tanks over t5's but as for the cost yes they are cheaper most of the time unless you get into really highend light fixtures you can spend 3k on a t5 fixture. t5 bulbs last longer than mh bulbs. but then again look at the cost if you replace 2 250w mh you will spend 50-100$ on each bulb 54w t5's are around 22$ a bulb. so look at my tank i have 8 54w bulbs when i could just use 2 MH. it is really just preferance as to what look you like and how much light you want

Ok, finally have some pics.

301.JPG

And a close up of the couple rocks I have and Cornelius the Damselfish.

305.JPG

Last edited:
As yall can see there are tons of things that are just thrown up there. That is because the lighting, heater, filter, skimmer and powerheads will all be getting replaced/upgraded in the next month or so when I get my stand built. I'll also be adding a 10g sump where all of the wires and what not will be disappearing to.

I will also be buying quite a large amount of live and dead rock(to be seeded by the live) so the reef will be taking shape more then.

Back