Rock Assembly in Tank

wsboyette

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy, Fish
I am about to stock a FOWLR with a full complement of LR & LS for my first time. I used to have some LR in this tank with fish, but there was not enough LR to consider it a full-blown FOWLR. This was mainly due to the tank being a rather tall, narrow 45, so in order to get a tall enough LR structure, I will definitely have to do some gluing this time. Another source tells me about using Great Stuff fish pond adhesive to assemble the live rock structure, but I was under the impression that LR must be kept wet to prevent die-off of organisms within the pores of the rock. Also, my mixing barrel only has 15 gal. capacity and my RO unit only delivers 50 GPD, so I will only be able to add water 15 gal. at a time, and it looks like it will take over 12 hours to make up water & completely fill the tank. Can anyone guide me as to the best procedure for this setup I'm preparing to do, please ?

Thanks,
WSB

With the Great Stuff,you'll have to let it set up outside the tank.It wont dry under water.
I'd use some 1/2 inch PVC and eggcrete.Ziptie the rock to the eggcrete.
Use dry base rock to get the foundation the way you want it and get it in place inside the tank.Then fill the tank with the RO/DI water.Be sure to leave enough room for the sand and live rock.Then add the salt to the tank and give it at least a full 24 hours to dissolve.Once thats done and the salinity is right,add your live sand and secure the live to your rock structure.

Back