Grassman's 55 Gallon Reef

I know I'm going to catch some slack over buying this, but it was $40 and I needed a better skimmer for this tank. I know there are better, but for the cash I had on me, it was all I could afford until I get a new one for the 120 gallon. It's a Coralife 220G. The collection cup is already soaking to be cleaned.

189-NewSkimmer1.jpg

190-NewSkimmer2.jpg

191-NewSkimmer3.jpg

192-NewSkimmer4.jpg

I'll post pics later of my old skimmer which hasn't been emptied in over a week and what this one pull out in a week along with now and then pics of my tank. I'm hoping this helps clear up this tank.

i think one issue with the coralife skimmers is that they are prone to overflowing, im not sure if you are doing that HOB or in the sump, but if can, i would put it in the sump.

i think one issue with the coralife skimmers is that they are prone to overflowing, im not sure if you are doing that HOB or in the sump, but if can, i would put it in the sump.

Thanks little_fish!! I'm hoping it'll fit in my sump. It has a bigger footprint then the seaclone I have now. If it does have to HOB & it overflows it'll give me an excuse to by the SRO I want. ;)

My order to fight Algae came in yesterday from J&L.
208-JandLOrder.jpg

My PhosBan full again and running.
209-PhoBanFull.jpg

Pictures of my tank this afternoon.
210-LeftSide.jpg

211-Middle.jpg

212-RightSide.jpg

I have plenty of flow in the tank now. I looked in this morning and my substrate had blown all over the place in the front and back. Good thing I had set my rocks on the glass then put the substrate in or I'd have rocks all over the place and possibly water all over the floor.

I picked up 6 new tubes for my fixture yesterday and installed them. (Thanks Darryl for the config!!)

The pictures shows how I put them in the fixture. Right box starts at the front of the tank.
213-NewBulbs.jpg

Here's my dusk to dawn. Set for 13 hours.
214-DusktoDawn.jpg

Here's full lighting for 9 hours.
215-FullyLite.jpg

I cleaned up the glass and moved my substrate back to cover where it blew all over the tank. After everything cleared up, I moved my corals back to my DT. I didn't glue anything down since I'm going to be moving them when I finish the 120.

Eagle Eye Zoas.
216-EagleEyes.jpg

Large Waving Hand Frag.
217-LgWavingHandFrag.jpg

Neon Green Candy Cane.
218-GreenCandyCane.jpg

Sun Corals.
219-SunCoral.jpg

Superman Mushrooms.
220-SupermanMushrooms.jpg

Red Muchrooms.
221-RedMushrooms.jpg

Blue Mushrooms.
222-BlueMushrooms.jpg

Green Tipped Mushrooms 1.
223-2GreenTippedMushrooms1.jpg

Green Tipper Mushrooms 2.
224-2GreenTippedMushrooms2.jpg

Green Stripped Mushrrom.
225-GreenStrippedMushroom1.jpg

Med. Waving Hand.
226-MedWavingHandFrag.jpg

Baby Green Stripped Mushroom.
227-GreenStrippedMushroom2.jpg

Blue Ric and Sm. Waving Hand Frag.
228-BlueRicandSmWavingHandFrag.jpg

Orange Ric.
229-OrangeRic.jpg

Mixed Zoa and Polyps.
230-MixedZoaandPolyps.jpg

Waving Hand, Blue Polyps, and More Green Stripped Mushrooms.
231-WavingHandBluePolypsandGreenStrippedMushrooms.jpg

Green With Red Spots Mushrooms.
232-GreenandRedDottedMushrooms.jpg

Red Zoas.
233-RedZoas.jpg

Pink Zoas.
234-PinkZoas.jpg

Waving Hands.
235-WavingHands.jpg

I got the same algae issue as you tell me if you solved it :(

I took the rock out and scrubber it with a toothbrush. Cut my lights for a week. Quit feeding 3 times a day. Did 1 feeding every other day. Replaced the media in my phosban reactor, and just changed my light bulbs.

I took the rock out and scrubber it with a toothbrush. Cut my lights for a week. Quit feeding 3 times a day. Did 1 feeding every other day. Replaced the media in my phosban reactor, and just changed my light bulbs.

Is it gone? Then how come there is more algae on the sand?

Last edited:
Back