D2mini's New 130g Make-Believe Cube Build Thread

Re: D2mini's New 100g Rimless Cube Build Thread

i would do the corner overflow if it is going to be next to a wall just because you will never be able to enjoy the other two sides of the tank.

James it will still be full walk-around, about 3 feet from two walls, you just won't be viewing those sides as often.
But ya, that's what I'm thinking.

ahh well i dont know what to say then make up a little mock-up with cardboard and see which one you like better.

:lol:
You're right. I was reading that thinking, "I wish he would rethink that Zero Edge."
BTW there is still time.......

It sounds like your are getting ready to settle for something because you are frustrated. I have no idea what you are looking to spend on this tank but if you are dead set on a walk around and the center overflow isnt going to work. I would have to agree with dcan. Thats a proven workable design and you will have more actual usable tank space. It does cost a lot but how much difference between what the custom comes to and the zero edge?

Ted makes a great point. :) What ever you decide just don't settle. Maybe you should stop and rethink everything so you just don't jump....

It sounds like your are getting ready to settle for something because you are frustrated. I have no idea what you are looking to spend on this tank but if you are dead set on a walk around and the center overflow isnt going to work. I would have to agree with dcan. Thats a proven workable design and you will have more actual usable tank space. It does cost a lot but how much difference between what the custom comes to and the zero edge?

Sorry if it came across that way. I'm very excited :bounce: just frustrated it has been taking so long to get the tank. I've been ready to GO GO GO for a month. It's just what i thought was going to be a good idea (center overflow) turned out to be maybe not the best approach. I could afford the zero-edge and looked into them. Very pretty, well thought out systems, but there's several things I don't like about it. I would actually be settling if I decided to go with zero edge just to overcome some frustration of piecing the system together and sourcing the components myself. Half the fun of doing a new tank build is, well.... the build! :Cheers:

well thats good get what you want. The build part is a lot of fun for most people. If the center overflow is going to take up to much space then do the corner. You could always cover that part with a funny painting or design for the few times you watch from that side. A mini painting of a water fall with crabs going over in barrels comes to mind. :D

Heres something to think about Dennis.
One of the local LFSs has 2 tanks like your wanting,there the stores SPS systems.Both are 36"X36" with center overflows,just like what your looking for.They also have closed loops.But heres the catch.The closed loop doesnt plumb through the over flows,their drilled into the bottom glass where the spouts are hidden in the rock.One on eack corner of the overflows.
That would keep your closed loop plumbing out of the overflow and free up that space for water,drain,and returns.

Thanks Yote, but that's exactly what I was thinking except originally i had the inlet going into the bottom side of the overflow and out the bottom, but then realized i didn't really need to do that either. So only my drains and returns for the open loop were in the overflow.
After talking to my tank builder tonite we still think the center overflow will take up at least 8" square in the center. Any idea how big their overflows are, Yote? Is their live rock stacked around the overflow? How does it look? Any pics?

Something else we are thinking is getting rid of the closed loop idea all together. I just keep hearing of too many problems and I keep hearing that the oceansmotions units need to be cleaned pretty regularly which entails removing them from the plumbing, disamantling the unit, cleaning it, putting it back together, getting it back into the plumbing, bleeding the air out and re-tweaking the system.
Kyle wants to put dry-boxes inside the overflow that will house several vortechs.

Last edited:

I think their overflows are around 6 to 8" square and yeah,the rock is stacked around the overflow.Actually looks pretty dang good.I'll get you some pics the next time I get in there,just cant promise when that'll be because of all the overtime I'm getting right now.

Take a breath.... This is a big investment, but you may be over thinking it. Don't compromise what you want or you will regret it. As any custom system goes you will wish you did something different.

sorry, I couldn't help you. :( Good Luck!

Take a breath.... This is a big investment, but you may be over thinking it. Don't compromise what you want or you will regret it. As any custom system goes you will wish you did something different.

sorry, I couldn't help you. :( Good Luck!

No way, you totally helped!! You and tracy ROCK! :bounce:

It was the vendors that had me frustrated.

BUT... i talked to Kyle at Sapphire the other night and he's ready to go as soon as I decide which direction to go in, so this is getting underway FINALLY!
We talked about the center overflow and a corner overflow.
I'm still undecided on which to use but now I'm leaning towards the corner overflow.
What do you think Winy about my space concerns with the center column overflow?

I'm picking up my stand maybe tomorrow. I'll post pics of course. :)

Because of the size of the tank I would probably do a corner overflow (this will give you the room that you need and want) But if you are walking around the tank it will look funny to have it in the corner.

The funny thing is everyone has an opinion on what works best for them, therefore you end up getting a million different solutions. I have ran into that while building my vivarium which is the first one I have ever done, I finally just had to stop and go back to what my original intension was....

Will be waiting for pics :)

cool we will expect pictures tomorrow then.

Here it is!!!!! :bounce: :^: :bounce:

Ok, this is the sketch i gave to the stand builder (a local reefer).

621454286_aMHct-L.jpg

And this is what he produced!!! :shock:
Iced Yerba Maté bottle for scale. :mrgreen:

It's birch plywood with a mix of Dark Walnut and Jacobean stains.
The only thing missing is the green stripe in the upper inset part and that will be done soon by my tank builder. It's going to be acrylic (easier to work with than glass) and will be back-painted to give the light green-ish blue color.
The whole thing is 41.5" square and the hole in top will fit the 36" cube tank.

661624422_9cm8L-O.jpg

I wanted 3 sides to open for access to the inner workings.
His idea was to go with one big door per side rather than the double doors I had originally.
Good move imho.
Look at all that space!!! I can't wait to get a massive sump in there and have room for other stuff too. So much nicer than my current 46g bow.

661624392_TtpzV-O.jpg

His attention to detail is awesome.

661624480_7agYy-O.jpg

661624459_cZiAN-O.jpg

I'll have more pics later when I get the acrylic strips installed and the tank in place. :D

Back