Catherine's 55 Gallon Build Thread

So, my caulerpa went asexual, (gee, what a day my tanks are having!), Anyway, I had to pull all my macro algae out of my pony tank. The light is too bright and they have spots to hang on to in back of the rock but really nowhere to hide. I should just move them. Why am I scared to do this? My 55 is doing well, numbers good, I've been moving the corals in slowly, AAAKKKKK.

C

Here's my full tank shot, looks like poo because I don't have rock hiding all my wires, grrrrrrrrrr:

4191737078_eaf169dcea.jpg

I can't muster up the courage to move my ponies or my big leather. Sigh, maybe tomorrow.

Here's what I'm going to do.

1. Do a water change in my 55.
2. Get my big leather (hitching post) and my ponies and put them in a 5 gallon bucket with some tank water from my 26 gallon.
3. Drip acclimate all of them over a period of 2 hours.
4. MOVE THEM ALL INTO THE 55 GALLON.

Why is this so scary????????????

Should I put and airstone int the 5 gallon bucket?

Catherine

OK,

Number one, Check, did a little 5 gallon water change.

Here goes number two.

Good thought, David. I keep airstones in my horses tank. You can't have the bubbles rise more than 10" or it can cause pouch problems. I keep an airline in my tank because my ponies LOVE a nice bubble massage. If you look at my 55 full tank shot, the black line going along the back is an air diffuser and the reason it's so high is for my horses. I'm stalling, can you tell?

gee, my hands are shaking. Here goes.....

Wish me luck,
C

OK, here they are:

4193416630_c10e0f3b0e.jpg

I thought my drip thingy was in my box of aquarium stuff but it's not. I have to add water manually. I hope they are ok! Also, I had to move a rock to get Star and I didn't realize that JoJo was in the middle of moving onto it. I think I ripped her, darn it. She's upstairs, I'll check her in a bit. AAKKKKK, I HATE THIS!

This is driving me insane. I want them outta the bucket and into their new home. Looks like I fragged JoJoMoJo. I'll does that tank with Vitamin C. I know their new home is going to be way better than their old home but moving them is horrible!

Ok, they're in:

Phoenix and Star went straight to fishing in the grass I KNEW they would love! sorry about the glare, I didn't have a gobo handy:
4192863971_e1e000fc07.jpg

Pegasus seems nervous and she grabbed onto the Koralia and looked at me like "why did you do this to me?" Still, it's the sharpest shot I've gotten of her, love the flat sides, no more bow blurries!

4193624518_363696e1ff.jpg

Now, I'm gonna worry for the next week that I stressed them out too much. OY

C

didn't want to take too many pics of the ponies because it's making them more nervous. It sure is hard not to because this tank is so much nicer to shoot in than the bow-front. Still watching them and watching the clown. Less stress now but still worried. Phoenix has 2 soars on his front pouch that I think are bristleworm stings. I knew he had one but didn't see the other 'till I moved him. Gosh, I hate those worms!

C

So pretty! I know how you feel about being anxious to get your babies in the new tank :) I had to move mine from the 45 to the 125, and waiting on the drip acclimation to be done was torture! So I watched TV ;)

They look happy!

wow, been forever since I've updated my build thread. I'm going to put up a tour of my sump room. Here we go:

This is most of the stuff in my sump room.

4693639969_64f106f4a1_b.jpg

The Orange DT on the wall is where my Display tank is.

1. Number one is an 18 gallon recycling bin filled about 2/3 full of water. In this bin the DT (display tank) water is dumped via an overflow, the return pump and a sponge filter.

If you follow the blue arrows along the back wall, the water splits from my return pump, half goes back to the DT and half goes to the rest of the sump system. The blue arrows then take you to number 2.

2. This is a 20 gallon garbage can. The water falls about 10 inches into this can. Hanging on the side is a bucket of Bio Balls (currently not in use) and my protein skimmer (busted my pump, currently not in use) When the skimmer is working the water trickles out of the skimmer, over the bio-balls and into the garbage can. The can is about 2/3 full.

3. The water flows through the bulk head and into another 20 gallon recycling bin. There is a pump in here keeping the water churning but nothing else is in there at the moment.

the water then flows out the pipe and back into the first recycling bin.

Here is a close up of number 1:
4694324738_d6643387e8_b.jpg

Here is a close up of the second and third stop:

4694274180_164b7fa640_b.jpg

This is the interior of the 20 gallon garbage can. In the bottom is a couple inches of sand and a bunch of caulerpa. I recently got my chaeto floating and it is now a breeding ground for brine shrimp:

4694273408_fc02fc65b6_b.jpg

Just to the right of my sump/fuge, I have another 2 muck buckets set up. I'm cycling them to start raising volcanic shrimp for my ponies. Volcanic shrimp has a salinity of 1.014. I'm about ready to add the shrimp at this point Here are the 2 buckets:

4693636793_7191afc305_b.jpg

The water flow is pretty straight forward, the water is pumped out of one bucket into the second one which is on cement blocks. the water then returns via the bulk head.

This is the inside of the first bucket:
4693636317_2400aba980_b.jpg

This is the inside of the second bucket:
4694272116_4a16089edd_b.jpg

I've also started cycling my sand and rocks in anticipation for the pico tank contest:
4694313538_0a71d0f418_b.jpg

What I don't have pictures of is my salt reserve and ATO. I have a 55 gallon garbage can full of salt water that I mix each weekend. This water is used through the week for water changes and emergencies. My ATO is a little 5 gallon bucket full of RODI.

so, what do you think? How can I make it better?????

thanks for any suggestions or comments.
Catherine

Last edited:
Wow I love the behind the scenes looks at peoples tanks. I'm not sure but I bet you could squeeze in another tote with water there somewhere ;) It all looks so clean! How do you keep it that way?

Back