What to do with my filter?

beachplayer14

Reefing newb
Hey,

I'm relatively new to the saltwater stuff, but I shooting to create a nice reef tank. I'm going to set up a 30g tank with a small 10g sump. I've got lots of LR in the display tank (30lbs) and my sump is going to have more LR, a skimmer, live sand, and some cheato.

The thing is when I bought the system from a guy on Kijiji, a Fluval 305 came with it all (I paid no extra, he just wanted it gone). People keep telling me I don't need it, but if I have it I'd like to find a use for it. I'd like to turn it on once in awhile just to keep water quality tip top. The 305 has like 5 different types of mediums that you can distribute between 7 different compartments:

FLUVAL Foam
FLUVAL Pre Filter media
FLUVAL Clearmax Phosphate remover
FLUVAL Biomax
FLUVAL FILTER CARBON

I'm going to add the 305 to the system consisting of LR, a skimmer, and some algae, which of the particular mediums would be most benefitial to stock the 305 with? And if I leave some of the compartments empty won't that increse water flow, and the overall efficency of the filter?

Thanks, and I appreciate lots of feedback.

I would use the filter periodically, but not 24/7. Run it for a few days each month to clarify the water. Use the foam and carbon or ChemiPure as the filter media. You can use the phosphate remover too. I wouldn't bother with the Biomax though. In between uses, clean it thoroughly.

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I have an totally unrelated question. What does it take to keep LR alive? I have it in a tank right now with everything set up, but I want to drain the tank so I can make the drill holes for the sump. What should I do with the LR during this process.

There are also 6 zebra hermit crabs I would like to keep alive also.

Thanks

Live rock just needs to be kept wet (in saltwater) at the correct temperature, with some water movement. Buy a few 5-gallon buckets from the hardware store, or some rubbermade tubs. Keep the rock in there with some water while you drill your tank. If it's only for a little while, don't worry about adding a powerhead or anything like that. The hermits will be fine in the buckets with the rock.

Back