What equipment for sump

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Ok, I have this sump: Pro Clear Aquatic Systems 750-79201 ProClear Aquatics Premier 200 Wet Dry Filter without Prefilter

This is going on my 75 gallon reef. I am looking for recommendations on overflow box size and return pump size. The sump is for a 200 gallon tank but i got it for free so I couldn't pass it up. Or should I just try to sell it and get something closer to the needs of my 75 gallon?

If I do keep it, do I need to use a dual outlet overflow meaning do I need to use both intakes on the sump?

Last edited:
Ok, I have this sump: Pro Clear Aquatic Systems 750-79201 ProClear Aquatics Premier 200 Wet Dry Filter without Prefilter

This is going on my 75 gallon reef. I am looking for recommendations on overflow box size and return pump size. The sump is for a 200 gallon tank but i got it for free so I couldn't pass it up. Or should I just try to sell it and get something closer to the needs of my 75 gallon?

If I do keep it, do I need to use a dual outlet overflow meaning do I need to use both intakes on the sump?

Sorry you didn't get a response man. I think wet/dry filters are a bit outdated personally. BUT its still absolutely useable for your tank size. Nothing wrong with using a larger sump, most people just dont have enough space to house larger sumps than what the minimum tank calls for.

If it were me, Id pull out all bioBalls, filter media etc... Id put a scrubber in there, or you could use a skimmer if your rather not build anything. Also, just because your sump is large doesnt mean you have to move a lot more water, another words dont bother using both overflows, unless you need to for some reason, but you shouldn't. You prob want to use a 300-500gph overflow box like an eshopps pf300 or pf800.

Return pump Id use something in the 400-600 GPH range for your tank height. A rio plus 2500 will do the trick if its 4-5 foot.

Back