The Plan

I guess I havent seen the downside to my overflows. I like that they pull water from three different levels of the tank to keep flow behind the rockwork. and I havent had much trouble aquascaping with them. I dont really see how your overflow is going to work , is there a link to a picture?
:bounce: A Calfo (IE. Anthony Calfo) horizontal overflow is commonly just two pieces of glass running the entire length of the back wall. Some people make them shorter. Typically they are only three inches deep and 2 inches wide with usually around four 1" bulkheads. I prefer notches and larger bulkheads so I use glass-holes acrylic oveflow boxes instead. I typically choose the 18 inch long box which is 6 inches deep and 3 inches wide. I use two 2" bulkheads. They are very quiet and have never clogged. The Calfo box, being glass, has no notches. I do not think pulling water from three depths like in a Megaflow tower a good idea as the majority of the dissolved organics are at the air water interface, so I choose to pull all my water off as skimmed water from the air water interface. I use a huge amount of circulation so I am quite sure any particles stay in suspension and make it to the surface for skimming. I also put intakes for closed loops half way up the back wall (nominally) so there is plenty of circulation behind the rocks and coral. There are many, many thousands of Calfo boxes being used. :^:

Last edited:
You can get the notched abs/pvs whatever they are made of sheets to attach to a calfo style box. My traditional overflows are like that glass for the structure with plastic notched material on the outside.

You can get the notched abs/pvs whatever they are made of sheets to attach to a calfo style box. My traditional overflows are like that glass for the structure with plastic notched material on the outside.
Are these like the plastic piece that they use on the bak of glass cover sthat allow for cutting holes for returns abd such? Sort of a h shaped where the bottom of the h slips over the glass edge?

Im not sure but I imagine you could DIY them too. All it would take is patience and either a dato blade or a router. You would just need to buy the plastic and move the cutting blade accordingly. You could even make a jig similar to a dovetailing unit and mass produce them and get rich! Haha

:bounce: Gutter guard used for keeping leaves out of gutters works real well. It is available at Fred Meyers, Lowes and Home Depot. :^:

With glass overflows you either silicone plastic wire ties to the glass and wire tie the grate on or just silicone the grate in place. Other wise you cut them just a little larger han the inside measurement and wedge them in place. They are pretty stiff plastic so will wedge well. Putting a few little blobs of silicone at the top edge of the inside of the overflow box will keep the wedged grate from popping out.

I know what gutter guard is. I have no idea as to what plastic garden mesh refers to. Sorry. Gutter guard is usually precut in narrow strips to fit in the individual gutters of the manafacturer sellng them. I find working with the narrow strips easy and they sell individually so I am not stuck with a lot of extra material.

Back