The Plan

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
My quest for knowledge has led me to this plan for my coming 75 mixed reef setup. Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. I cant guarantee I know what im talking about, but I will definitely try to explain everthing:So heres the plumbing plan:

1) From the glass calfo overflow box (36in long x 3in wide x 4 in tall) water will drain at around 976gph through two 1.5in bulkheads down into the sump‘s skimmer section.

2) The sump(size to be determined) will house an octopus 150 skimmer, fuge, and return.

3) A hole will be drilled into the side of the return section for a bulkhead (don’t know which size here) which would lead to a pan world 100px-x pump(rated for 1270 gph, is this too large? Anyone know how quiet it is?)

4) From the pan world pump water will be pumped back in the DT through a return manifold with 4 outlets going around the top of the tank(maybe 6?)

Any questions, just ask. All suggestions welcomed, any help is good in the planning phase. i will patiently be waiting to see what you guys respond with:shock:

yeah im a Phi Kappa Psi.

With the returns im waiting for fatman to chime in and say where to put the returns which is something I need to figure out also.

Im just curious, Why the custom overflow box? if your starting from scratch why not buy a reef ready tank? I started out with a 75 gallon allglass tank that was reefready, it had the Megaflow system and it worked flawlessly. Im just curious if there was a specific reason for the custom overflow?

I decided on a custom box because 1)its custom 2)i dont like the look of vertical overflows, and 3) i wanted to have more space to aquascape within the tank

If were to have had my tank built instead of buying someone elses design I would have gone with a calfo or other type of overflow. Mine just take up so much valuable space.

I guess I havent seen the downside to my overflows. I like that they pull water from three different levels of the tank to keep flow behind the rockwork. and I havent had much trouble aquascaping with them. I dont really see how your overflow is going to work , is there a link to a picture?

the calfo design is the same as any other overflow box, except its horizontal instead of vertical. This allows for the box to be more efficient at doing what it does, which is surface skimming. Ill look for a picture with a better explaination now.

Youd think with 80 sponsors at $500 a piece per month they could afford to keep the site working! LOL!

Exactly right. I don't see why any members would sponsor that site with considering the performance on it.

They have a lotta info on that site but sadly it sux trying to find stuff. Threads also get buried very quickly there. That's why I like making most of my post here because with in a day or too the activie veterans here will respond and offer up some good advice.

yeah that site is way to big, and as i have stated before, everyone flames you if you dont have the best of the best on everything or if you experiment with fish that are suggested to not go together or with coral if they arent reef safe and if you have more then one tang in your tank then the shit will quickly hit the fan. and if you dont have an eight billion gallon tank then thye dont really care about you

Back