Tempered or Not?

rwynn

Big Daddy
I am trying to determine if the glass sides/back of my tank are tempered or not? Is there an easy way to determine? I read somewhere about a mandatory stamp, don't see one but it could be along the black trim?

I am thinking about drilling/cutting the holes for an overflow and return plumbing.

It is a 40g tall tank.

Thanks!

Put on some polarized sunglasses and take a look. You know how the windows of your car look through a polarized lens (kind of a circular pattern)? The tank glass will look the same.

Thanks yall, my tank wasn't on that list(40 TALL) but I don't think it is tempered. I have read in a couple places that there is a mandatory stamp on all tempered glass...my tank doesn't have a stamp.

That stamp is a paper tag under the bottom glass.It could be tempered and tag ripped off,or it may not be tempered.
But most tanks now,the backs not tempered.

Think I'll just build an overflow, I feel better about DIYing that since I've already got the tank all setup and I can work the 1.50 PVC easier than the tank.

Drill into the glass. If it shatters and a mass tidal wave of salt water floods into your home --then it was tempered.

(just kiddin --do not drill tempered glass)

Back