t5 question 90 gal reef

BillyTheKid

Reefing newb
I bartered for a 90 gal reef tank this past summer. The lady I got it from had it set up for 6 yrs. Transfered it home set it back up and everything seems to be doing fine. Want to replace the t5 lightbulbs any suggestions on color? Temp K? or anything in general. It has a 5 bulb aquactinics fixture. Looking to maybe add more corals and or anenomes maybe some more color. I don't do much besides change 5 to 10 gallons almost weekly. (she said that is what she did). People tell me I need a protein skimmer. I just have a sump with the water flowing over 2 different layers of polyester filter media that I change about once a month. tank seems to be doing fine. Does anybody know what type of anenome I have? The picture is not good it usually opens a lot bigger. Any help whould be greatly appreciated Thanks

Attachments

• Our reef tank 2009 003.webp
    Our reef tank 2009 003.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 549
  • Our reef tank 2009 004.webp
    Our reef tank 2009 004.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 752
As for the anemone, are you talking about the bluish thing in the center of the tank? If so, that looks like a carpet anemone, but it is bleached and unhealthy. You probably don't have enough light to keep that anemone happy.

AH HA

If thats an anemone,its in extremely bad shape.
I'd about say thats its bad enough that it'd be better off getting a vodka bath.

Under the flame angel is an elephant ear? Thats what the lady called it. The anemone is on the bottom left corner below the clown fish. It was not fully opened for the picture when it is it comes half way up the tank and is huge. I don't know what it is. I will try greg at Reefgeek thanks for the advice. My lfs guy said as long as you have 4 watts per gallon the kelvin temp just controls color and it was personal taste. I have been trying to read a lot online and it did not sound that way. Thanks for the reply

You need more lights. 5 T5 bulbs is only 250w Thats about 2.7w per gallon.

You need TWICE that. I would suggest you look for a new light fixture - regardless of the color K you choose that will never be enough light for most corals.

+1 RC means he agrees with me. People call me RC because it's shorter than typing out my entire name Rcpilot.

You need more light man. If you need help picking out a new fixture we can post some links to lights that might work. You may be able to get away with a clamp-on MH light for now. It would be cheaper than a new fixture. The fixture you have now only has 5 bulbs and thats just not enough. But if it's a good fixture, there's no sense in tossing it in the trash. Again, a clamp-on MH light might be just the thing you need to kick up your lighting without breaking the bank.

The question is - do you have room to clamp it on the tank with the current fixture mounted up there?

I hate to just pop in out of nowhere and start replying.

I have to disagree somewhat with Rc a bit.Looking at your pictures,it looks like plenty of light for the corals except for the anemone.Those lights are really a good T5-HO fixture with individual reflectors.Because 90g. tanks are pretty deep,I would stay away from more light demanding corals and anemones(that would be most SPS corals,btw).

Good luck!

Back