Stingray

haha the bottom tank at my LFS? No - sorry I wish I knew more about it! My LFS didn't get a whole lot of info from the supplier about it either.

I think that they may have been lied to about what it is. I did a search as well on www.fishbase.org and again nothing about a pygmy stingray.

I once had an LFS tell me that they had dwarf yellow tangs and blue tangs (of course just babies) but they tried to sell them for more money because they were dwarfs. This same LFS a month or so later sold 2 yellow tail damsels to a friend of mine as a dwarf blue tang for blue tang price. Yea they aren't in business anymore.

okay check this out, i went diggin in my books from work and found this guy:

Hystrix Stingray
Scientific Name: Potamotrygon hystrix
Recommended Aquarium: 100+ Gallons
Approx. Adult Size: 15inches
Temperament: Semi-Aggressive
Ease of Care: Moderate
Diet: Carnivore
Native Waters: South America

One of the hardier, easier-to-care-for Stingrays available to aquarium hobbyists, but is still not considered a beginner’s fish. Also know as the Mottled Ray, this fish requires good water quality and a soft sand substrate. Gravel and other sharp decorations must be avoided as they can scratch the bottom of the Ray and cause injury, disease, and death. The Hystrix may eat aquarium mates that would fit into its mouth. Feeder fish, krill, and other meaty foods suit it best.

The Hystrix Stingray is native to the Amazon Rivers and does best in slightly acidic water around 80º F. Be certain to pay attention to aquarium heater placement as Stingrays and other bottom dwellers may be harmed. Also be sure to watch the salinity levels as to be certain it will not be higher than what they stingray was living in before captivity.

These stingrays typically arrive at a pet store at around 3-6 inches and are sold as "mini" stingrays. However, these stingrays are by no means small and can reach up to 15" disc. This does not include the tail which can sometimes be double the legenth of the rays body. Be careful when considering adding one of these smaller species of stingrays to your tank, They will eventually need lots of room on the bottom of the tank to swim around, Many hobbyists are unable to have the right setup to properly house these creatures.

so i'm guessing thats the closest thing i could find on them.... those are the smallest stingrays in the world so you either have one of these... or something else much bigger

Last edited:
haha, well I have plans to add a 125 gallon tank in about 6 months. The one I'm looking at is 6' x 19" x 19". So if need be I could just move him home! Thanks for digging for me! That's awesome to know...good thing I got rid of my standard heater in place of an in-line! : )

Back