Should I put my tank here?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I don't know where this thread belongs so mods, move it if it needs to be elsewhere.

Ok, I've got this huge tank. Still working on the silicone issues but today I moved it in to the spot where I'm thinking about putting it. My whole living room is blown apart right now so don't look at anything but the tank, the wall and the windows. My idea is that if I put it here I would build a cabinet for it that is similar in design to the fluval tanks- a big wood cabinet under tank with a sliver of wood in the middle of the back of the tank with an arm that would extend over the tank so I could mount the lights there. I could hang the lights if the arm over the tank didn't work but I would need the wood back to put the plumbing in. The bow of the tank would be in the back with a straight front. The rock would be piled high in the middle leaving the parts in front of the window open for gorgs, sponges, macro and other tree like stuff for my ponies to hitch onto.

I want to know: 1. How crazy is it to put the tank in front of the window like that? I'll have to do some structure work in my basement but that's doable. 2. Right now, the tank is sitting on an old coffee table but I'm thinking about keeping the cabinet low like the coffee table, is that a problem? The sump would be in the basement. 3. Do you like it? Do you think it looks dumb covering the window?

Thanks for any feedback:

4487549135_49a5a6e383.jpg

Here's a shot from the balcony overlooking the room: We're putting 5 windows in the ceiling, two over the window on the right, two over the window on the left and one over the center beam directly over the tank (IF the tanks stays there)
4488198338_5dc169489d.jpg

This would be my view from where I usually sit in the room:
4487549171_f0649af9ac.jpg

Finally, this is sort of the cabinet I was thinking about having built.

4487549235_6ddf40234f.jpg

Thanks SO MUCH for any feedback, good or bad! If it's not going to work here, I want to know now!

Catherine

I'd worry about the algae growth.....aquariums 101 LOL One of the first things I read from years ago was to avoid putting a tank by the window because of algae growth

I have seen a lot of tanks going to natural sun. They use solar tubes and run actinics. They are also in the south. If you are going to grow plants in it I wouldn't worry about to much algae from the sun.

I think it looks it great where it is if it was rotated.

Though I would recommend putting in Solar Shades on the window, they are shades that you can see through but absorb most of the heat the sun emits.

Some of the new solar shades can even be used as source of solar power for you home, I mean your tank. :)

I love the basement sump ideas, less noise in viewing area, also the cabinent you are looking at build seems pretty cool, be really neat to see how it turns out.

the bowfront goes the other way.

I know the bow is supposed to go in the front. I love to shoot pics of my tank and the bow makes focusing really hard. It is almost impossible to get a good focus on a bow front tank. Also, I was kind of thinking that the bow in the back might make some interesting aquascaping by putting the rocks/ plants in an arch in the back? I got the tank for free so I can't complain but I never would have chosen a bow front tank.

Do you think it looks good, bad, stupid, just ok.... I'm nervous that I'll do all this work and construction to put the tank there and then not like it. I've got a lot of time before it gets wet.....

C

I don't know that I would want to block that view with a tank. Would also be easier to tell if we could see the whole room. how about a 360 pano

I think it could actually be really cool with the bow facing toward the windows. It would give you more room for rock placement and would probably open up alot of options on how to place the rock. Done right I think it could look really sweet. It would also give you the ability to not place all of the rock up against the back wal, thereby increasing the flow and keeping the crap moving.

As far as should it go in front of the window...I don't have a clue.

That sun would be great for light but like others say bad for temp. If you want it there think about the cost of a chiller. I hit 81F in my tank today from 1 single skylight in my man cave. Plus that view is amazing. I would be torn between it and the tank. As for height of the tank. Think about your viewing angle. 90% of the time me or others viewing my tank are standing. That said my tank is set so its even eyesight when I am standing up. From where I am sitting now though it is way to high. Set your tank height with where you are going to view it from.

How much sun does that side of the house get?
If it gets a lot,then I'd at least make sure I had some shades to block the sun out incase of algae blooms.
But I like the view out those windows to.Not sure I'd even put the tank there just because of the view.

I like it!!!

And the bow in back is GENIUS!!!!!
Especially if you were to do a center rear overflow. The bow actually allows you to add the overflow without losing as much space.
Just make sure the tank is not getting direct sun.

If you put a tank in front of a window, you will greatly increase your algae problems and your tank temperature fluctuations. Touch the window on a cold night -- all that cold will be transferred to your tank. Same with heat. And algae thrives on natural sunlight.

If you put a tank in front of a window, you will greatly increase your algae problems and your tank temperature fluctuations. Touch the window on a cold night -- all that cold will be transferred to your tank. Same with heat. And algae thrives on natural sunlight.

But isn't that what we recreate with all this high intensity lighting over our tanks... the sun?
My tank is near the windows (indirect northern light) and I actually keep my lights off until noon, letting the tank slowly wake up with the natural sun rise. It's not nearly enough light to light up the tank, but at least it's something and I can see everything ok. Saves me a little electricity. :)

The other thing is, if it was me... I'd probably be painting the back of that tank black anyway.

And as long as the tank is not up against the windows, it should be fine. I'm sure Catherine's house is temp controlled. Plus she has heaters so they'll take care of a few degrees in room temp drop if that happens.

But isn't that what we recreate with all this high intensity lighting over our tanks... the sun?
My tank is near the windows (indirect northern light) and I actually keep my lights off until noon, letting the tank slowly wake up with the natural sun rise. It's not nearly enough light to light up the tank, but at least it's something and I can see everything ok. Saves me a little electricity. :)

The other thing is, if it was me... I'd probably be painting the back of that tank black anyway.

And as long as the tank is not up against the windows, it should be fine. I'm sure Catherine's house is temp controlled. Plus she has heaters so they'll take care of a few degrees in room temp drop if that happens.

Its not the light really. If I could I would have an all natural reef. All natural reef lighting too. It also has to do with maintaining the proper reef specs with temp, alk, light, pH. etc. We can come close to a reef environment but we will never reproduce it exactly.

Its not the light really. If I could I would have an all natural reef. All natural reef lighting too. It also has to do with maintaining the proper reef specs with temp, alk, light, pH. etc. We can come close to a reef environment but we will never reproduce it exactly.

What are you referring to? Biff said the tank near the windows would create algae problems.

Some people are using solar tubes for natural reef lighting.

My house is temp controlled and the windows are double glass. I would have a problem in the summer (middle of March to late Septemberish) the tank would get direct light. When we install the windows in the ceiling we are adding a remote controlled, programmable window shade to the new windows and the ones behind the tank. Also, I LOVE our view but when you're sitting down you don't really get to appreciate what's happening outside the window, that's why I was thinking about keeping the tank low. When you stand you get the full view outside. I wouldn't paint the back black in case I decide to flip it around someday and the cabinet with the fluval type design in the middle of the back would be to obscure the overflow and wires and to keep a craftsman type style to the tank in keeping with our craftsman/asian/zen style.

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me! Lots to think about!

C

Back