setting up 29 gallon frag tank need T5 light setup

d.french

Reef enthusiast
Don't have time to build a canopy cause i work alot of overtime so i'm looking for a t5 light setup already built or complete hood system only thing i'm seeing online really is the nova extreme light fixture. Any advice or links to some good deals or anyone selling one, tank is 30L"x12"wx18"H.

d I dont think you would go wrong with the nova extreme at foster and smith.
My sand bed in my 55 ( depending on where you look) is right at 1 to 2 inches deep.

If it is going to be a frag tank go BB. you can have so much flow in the tank w/ out sand it will be beneficial to just about every coral. just be sure to get a decent skimmer because with the good flow in the frag tank you will have most of the detritus and other nasties in the water column. I'd check out the Helios individual reflectors w/ built in ballasts are pretty good and they make a HO 30inch fixture. I'm not sure that many other companies make a 30in fixture.

unfortunately there nova doesn't make a 30" t5. most companies don't. also there isn't a standard size 30" t5 ho bulb available. so you're kinda stuck using the manufacturer's bulb. otherwise you could go VHO. for a frag tank I'd think this would probably be the most economical.

i know it sucks that there isn't a 30 inch so i'am going with 36 inch so i can use the the mounting brackets on my tank the 24" won't reach out to sides of tank. so i will have 156 watts of t5's over my 29gallon should do good, didn't want to hang light or sit on glass.

that would probably be my personal choice for the frag tank. IMO would be the most light for your money. since you wouldn't have to worry about aesthetics in the tank you could run the sunpod with a single 10k ushio bulb and get some amazing growth.

i'm goin with t5 setup 4 39 watt bulbs, t5 better on sps i've seen first hand in our rc club the difference in couple of tanks with t5's and halides. One guy in our club gives sps corals away for free cause they grow like a weed in his tank. I've seen others in mh lights grow well but not near as well as under t5's.

d.french said:
i'm goin with t5 setup 4 39 watt bulbs, t5 better on sps i've seen first hand in our rc club the difference in couple of tanks with t5's and halides. One guy in our club gives sps corals away for free cause they grow like a weed in his tank. I've seen others in mh lights grow well but not near as well as under t5's.

Really SPS grew better under T5's,gives me hope that I may be able to keep them under my lights later on when my tank matures.

this is his tank last january of 2006
mikestankinjan2006.jpg

the rest of these pics are of this year one year later
CIMG0483.jpg

CIMG0481.jpg

CIMG0479.jpg

first is front shot, second is left side, third is right side, and best part is he will give me free frags of whatever is in his tank. 58 gallon rr tank with live rock and live sand from tbsaltwater.com

ok here are pics so far i post one with all lights on one with 10k on and one with actnics.

side shot with both lights on.
IM000868.JPG

front shot with 10k on only.
IM000867.JPG

shot with actnic only
IM000866.JPG

shot with both 10k and actnics
IM000865.JPG

with the dark blue reflective background the back of tank is lit up real well
also put some of my small rubble rock from my tank which any rock on my sandbed in other tank is loaded with spaghetti worms, tossed in a few bristleworms, and small feather dusters from fuge.

Back