Salt Mix

I think that it depends on your husbandry. How often you change water, and the amount of coral pulling from the elements. I use ocean water, and have for about 12 years now. I dose calcium, mag, and alk only.

Ok that makes sense. I change my water every 3-4 wks. Maybe it's not by the book but the system I have works great. You may have inspired me to do weekly water changes to see what happens. I need to think about it. I have about 23 sps/lps corals in a 29g, about 14 different species, 7 sps, 7 lps. The rest are softies. What salt do you prefer?

I've used Seachem Reef, Reef Crystals, and right now I'm finishing up a box of Oceanic. I usually only buy what's cheapest at the time that I need more salt. It's worked for me so far (knock on wood).

I think that it depends on your husbandry. How often you change water, and the amount of coral pulling from the elements. I use ocean water, and have for about 12 years now. I dose calcium, mag, and alk only.
I was actually curious a bit ago about using ocean water and the general answer I got from this site was its a bad idea, how has it gone in your tank

Really?
My calcium in my last test was 480. I was using instant ocean and wait for it.......tap water. *insert dramatic music here*

Let the flaming begin

Using tap water isnt an issue until you have used it for a long time and the crap that is in it starts to build up and cause issues with algae etc.

I have to be honest I used the black runoff line from my RODI unit to fill up my seahorse tank because waiting on the RODI line would have taken 30 years. It was still filtered water not tap but not DI.

I use the RODI line only though for all water changes and top offs so I dont get build ups of minerals and contaminates from the sink.

Back