Salt Mix

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
So since I have decided against getting Ocean water in my tank, I am obviously going to be using salt mix, I was just curious what brands you prefer and what brands you would stay away from. So far I have been using Instant Ocean but I just wanted some thoughts on the subject

I use about 6.5 or so lbs of red sea coral pro salt to mix with my 29 gallon... it works pretty good, i don't have any great coral in there yet, but the fish don't seem to mind it! I was so silly and forgot to factor in displacement for rock and sand the first go around and mixed up so much salt for 29 gallons when there was maybe 20-22 gallons in the tank, needless to say my levels wouldn't even register they were so high

I use about 6.5 or so lbs of red sea coral pro salt to mix with my 29 gallon... it works pretty good, i don't have any great coral in there yet, but the fish don't seem to mind it! I was so silly and forgot to factor in displacement for rock and sand the first go around and mixed up so much salt for 29 gallons when there was maybe 20-22 gallons in the tank, needless to say my levels wouldn't even register they were so high

LOL got to love the learning curves. I am ordering a new hydrometer. Mine broke so I am glad I dont have fish in there right now because while it looks great I am sure that Im off. However water evaporates so quick in mine I think I may be good with having to top off with.....well non salty water LOL

IMO Tropic Marin is the best but can be expensive. I just use coralife reef and it works pretty well, I have had no problems and my coral is doing great.

My favorite is the tropicmarin reef salt it dissolves super fast and kept my PH perfect.
I recently bought the redsea reef and it is ok but I did notice my PH went back down to 7.8.

I just used the last of the bag over the weekend and I am going back to tropicmarin. It is more expensive but I like it better.

Since I like to dose my tank with trace elements I use a salt which is supposed to be lacking like instant ocean. a couple years ago I had a huge problem with reef crystals and wound up with some trace element overdose. I've also have super high alk and pH problems with reef crystals. It could have been the bag I bought???

you'll need to pick a good calcium too, i swear by tropic marin bio calcium. it has a lot of trace elements so you have to be carefull with that too.

you'll need to pick a good calcium too, i swear by tropic marin bio calcium. it has a lot of trace elements so you have to be carefull with that too.
Really?
My calcium in my last test was 480. I was using instant ocean and wait for it.......tap water. *insert dramatic music here*

Let the flaming begin

There's no reason for you to dose unless your levels are dropping between water changes. Most people especially with newer tanks do not need to dose anything.

you don't have a bio-load yet right? when you start putting corals and growing coraline they will consume the calcium at which point you will most likely need to add some regularly.

There's no reason for you to dose unless your levels are dropping between water changes. Most people especially with newer tanks do not need to dose anything.

how often would you expect a water change? wouldn't the tank size and amount of stock make a difference? I have a 29g packed absolutely packed with SPS, LPS and softies and my coraline occasionally gets out of control.

Here is a thread on salt mixes, and the trace elements for them.

Synthetic Salt Mixes - Reef Central Online Community

Thanks, I acutally viewed that link from another earlier thread and found it useful. However, it doesn't talk about iodine, strontium and the other 60+ trace elements found in Sea Water. Also, some trace elements are exhausted by activated carbon, skimming, reactors, etc. as well as a heavy bio-load. When I first strarted I tried so many different options and then I found tropic marin bio-calcium and realized it is a miracle powder. ocasionally I use a Julian Sprung formula. I don't actually dose with all types of different chemicals, just the previous two additives I mentioned (I use a 1/4 of the recommended dosage). It's been low maintainence and worked wonders on my coral.

haha. controversial reefer. I like it.

LMAO
Current Aquarium(s) Description: Naso, Yellow, Powder & Hippo nestled comfortably in a 20g High..........Just kidding!
Experience in Saltwater & Reef Aquarium Hobby: Since 2003

how often would you expect a water change? wouldn't the tank size and amount of stock make a difference? I have a 29g packed absolutely packed with SPS, LPS and softies and my coraline occasionally gets out of control.

For most people a 10-20% weekly change is enough to keep water params where they should be. I do 10 gallons a week for my 75g tank and I've never had to dose for anything in my tank (I'm keeping over 25 types of SPS/LPS in my tank currently).

Thanks, I acutally viewed that link from another earlier thread and found it useful. However, it doesn't talk about iodine, strontium and the other 60+ trace elements found in Sea Water. Also, some trace elements are exhausted by activated carbon, skimming, reactors, etc. as well as a heavy bio-load. When I first strarted I tried so many different options and then I found tropic marin bio-calcium and realized it is a miracle powder. ocasionally I use a Julian Sprung formula. I don't actually dose with all types of different chemicals, just the previous two additives I mentioned (I use a 1/4 of the recommended dosage). It's been low maintainence and worked wonders on my coral.

I honestly have yet to meet one person that doses for the trace elements you mention. Not to say that they are not useful, and or needed. But they are not consumed in the quanities that the big 3 (Calcium, Magnesium, Alk) are.In my opinion had the original poster tested for any and all trace elements the info would have been far to convoluted.

For most people a 10-20% weekly change is enough to keep water params where they should be. I do 10 gallons a week for my 75g tank and I've never had to dose for anything in my tank (I'm keeping over 25 types of SPS/LPS in my tank currently).

Ok that makes sense. I change my water every 3-4 wks. Maybe it's not by the book but the system I have works great. You may have inspired me to do weekly water changes to see what happens. I need to think about it. I have about 23 sps/lps corals in a 29g, about 14 different species, 7 sps, 7 lps. The rest are softies. What salt do you prefer?

I honestly have yet to meet one person that doses for the trace elements you mention. Not to say that they are not useful, and or needed. But they are not consumed in the quanities that the big 3 (Calcium, Magnesium, Alk) are.In my opinion had the original poster tested for any and all trace elements the info would have been far to convoluted.

I definately agree. testing for trace elements aside from the big 3 is not necessary, but the other trace elements are definately required. Do you think that the salt mixes generally contain enough of the minor trace elements, especially when considering SPS and highly calcerous corals?

Back