Plumbing

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Ok, I've had my refugium set up for a week or so and I've got my pods breeding like crazy. Here's a question: How do I get the water out of my 26 gallon bow front and into the 10 gallon refugium, then swirl the water around, picking up a few pods along the way and back into my bow front again? Seems like I'm going to have a flood on my hands if I'm not careful!

thanks,
Catherine

Do you have any live rock or macroalgae in the fuge? If so, it's probably easier to take it out and shake it into your main tank since most of the pods will be living in or on something, not just swimming around in the water.

No, they are not connected, but they are sitting right next to each other. That's what I'm wondering, how do I get the water from one to the other and back again without flooding my livingroom?

thanks,
C

No, if you use two pumps, one will inevitably be more powerful or faster than the other, then you'll have a flood. Do not use more than one pump.

Can you put a hole in the side of one of them?

Can you put a hole in the side of one of them?

you mean the tanks? the 10 gallon refugium is under the 26 gallon, I could put a hole in it, why would I want to do that, there's a humungous hole at the top, can't I use that one? :scratchch

Catherine

You're going to need gravity to bring the water down and a pump to bring it back up. You can't get the water out of your upper tank without A) putting a hole in it, or B) hanging an overflow box off the side of it.

It's got an HOB on it now. So I get some tubing and start a siphon from my HOB? Then get a pump to bring the water back? I can hook up the most complex computer system, why is it so hard to move water around?

thanks,
Catherine

Biffs right.Your going to need a HOB overflow box and a small return pump.
The overflow will bring water in as the pump pushes it back to the display.

Your over thinking it Catherine.
Once you start the siphon in the overflow,its only going to drain what the return pump pushes back up.

So Catherine, you want a *constant* flow between the tanks, right? Then you will definitely need the overflow box like Yote and Biff said.

Back