Reefing newb
okay here is the new closed loop idea for the tank

closedloop3.JPG

green are the sump returns and are all 1"
red are the sump intakes and are all 2"
yellow is the closed loop intake and are 1.5"
blue are the closed loop return and are 1.5"

tell me what you think

closed loop is when you take the water out the tank and run it through a pump and back through multiple opening eliminating the need for powerheads

A closed loop is a circulation system that uses a high powered pump to send water to a serious of returns that are usually placed around the tank. Most closed loops utilize holes in the back of the tank so that water is returned in multiple places.

FWIW I would use two 2" intakes for the closed loop in case one gets blocked off, saving the pump. I would also do my returns at one inch for a little more velocity. and I would also spread the holes a little more evenly across the backwall of the tank as to spread the stress load out a little more evenly.

Have you thought about a manifold pipe feeding a couple of nozzleson each side of the tank instead of puuting all your returns on the back wall. And in doing so realize that you can feed four 3/4" outlets with the same velocity as one 1.5 inch return outlets. If your not using a glass cover realize that the 1.5" pipe that you fed the side 3/4" nozzles with would hide behind the plastic top rim of your tank and therefore not be seen hardly at all. They could be fed through bulkheads or over the back wall of the tank. Usually lots of moderate sized nozzles will provide better irculation than a lesser number of larger nozzles. I just drill holes through the sidewalls , however most people view their tanks from three sides or at least have viewable sidewalls that they do not want to ses plumbing running around and through. My sidewalls and all plumbing is painted black just like my back walls.

fatman

i am using the 1.5 by 4(1 inch ports) http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-Distributors

i thought about drilling on the side walls but the tank will be backed up against a wall and i don't want that seen. and plus one of the sides will be backed up against a corner
Where, or in what way are you using the 4 port manifold? They are a very large fitting to have inside a tank. I typically run 2" flex from my pump ball valve to a 2" manifold or a true "Y" fitting from flexpvc and run the two 2" pvc pipe lines to approximately the level of my return bulkheads and then put a 2" x 1.5" x 1.5" and run 1.5" flex pipe to my bulk heads where I reduce inside one end of ninety degree street fittings to 1" bulkheads that are threaded on the inside of the tank. At the inside of bulkhead I place a 3/4" reducing bushing and screw a male threaded adapter from Loc-line upon which I put a swiveling nozzle. I suggested the manifold as it typically works best when supplying good circulation if not all the return nozzles are on the back wall. Nozzles from the front of the tank and the side walls in conjunction with the back wall returns actually works bet, and that absolutely requires a maniflod system or a drilled set of holes in the front of the bottom glass, or something of that nature. Well designed manifolds are not visible inside the tank accept for the nozzles. The nozzles are small, unobtrusive and swivela in a half sphere of range for adjustability.

Last edited:
Back