monkiboy's tank thread

Love the rock flower nems.

pacificeastaquaculture.com often has a lot of very colorful ones for sale. I've been tempted but am weary about nems in general.
These look amazing, though:
Anemones

Great work on the tank. Love built-in setups.

yeah, they are neat but rather expensive from the website. he visits our local reef club meetings and things are typically 50% off or so and then it's a good deal!

i got these rock/flower nems from djfrankie on ebay. we had a shipping delay and he handled it like a pro and refunded my cost. they were only 29 bucks through him, one cost for multiple items shipped, and everything was bigger and arrived healthy looking.

don't be worried about rock/nems. they rarely ever move from where you put them. they are much easier to keep than a BTA or similar.

things are going very well. putting together a small group of nem collectors and those interested in cloning more of the rare species for propagation.

picked up a few new ones and moved some coral into the tank.

64f22db9-1acb-4e78-b12f-c4eca57c71c0_zps1496fb9d.jpg

34e2bfbc-eb91-42ff-9c27-284835e12af5_zps75416e5d.jpg

8cd6106a-7c2a-4e8e-83cc-8c0e9484bfe3_zps0ff72a9b.jpg

b6f27c87-5715-4ad7-946f-b0f19dd7aa12_zps751f81c4.jpg

and the clowns are finally being hosted by the nem and they decided to stick around, finally! this is the couple tucked away at night sleeping away. sorry for the crappy photo but had to use flash.

5232a9ea-715a-4ac5-a604-5eaa37a97519_zpsaa594566.jpg

a few fish came out of QT safe for the display tank and i don't know if made a proper introduction to any of them.

Itru_zpsd591813f.jpg

we have a blue linckia sea star, a yellow candy hogfish, and a diamond watchman goby who is almost 6" long!

How long have you had the blue linkia star? I've always wanted one but I keep reading that they don't last long in captivity. I'd very interested to see how yours is doing and will do in the future.

the blue is one of the easiest to keep. him and my red knob star were initially fickle, the red knob a bit more than than linckia.

i've had them maybe six months or so. the red knob did not ship well though and when it arrived it's flesh was peeling off on two legs. the blue linckia shipped better but was noticebly stressed and discolored/shriveled.

but both in QT turned around in three to four weeks and freely hang out and move about getting their grub on. and acclimated well to their display tanks and have been really thriving based on their coloration, tentacle action, and movement.

i'll let you know if either perishes and/or provide an update on their one year anniversaries in my tank ;)

Diamond watchmen are cool as hell, mine is a little punk tho, he runs around dumping sand on other fish. It's funny as hell, but at the same time not cause he tends to stress em out a little when he does it. He also enjoys burying my hermit crabs in sand....already lost two turbo snails too him as well >_>

ordered a couple clones - a pale green with bright orange tips "acid rain" and neon green, splattered, "toxic clouds"

came from some folks in CA. i live in washington, dc. was shipped usps express by 12pm next day air. somehow crappy usps decides to not fulfill this obligation and the anemone took two days to get to me the following afternoon after supposed guaranteed arrival.

it was shipped with another nem and here they are after arrival prior to acclimation and QT. their mouths gaping open, the water soiled rotten and fragments of their discarded tissue floating around.

b89af228-b392-4ce5-a51d-7e2ee722a06a_zpse992d538.jpg

unfortunately, i lost the more rare anemone on the bottom of that photo despite my thinking that it looked better upon initial receipt. it just continued to deteriorate over the course of the following week and began melting away and was flushed.

thankfully, i was able to rehab the other nem successfully while in QT and it began expanding, settling, eating very well, and made the transition to my DT very nicely and hasn't moved from the spot i allocated for it which it seems to really enjoy...

5766d1e1-726d-4fa6-8328-35c5770c1561_zps7277927a.jpg

after such stress sometimes i'll see an immediate clone but no such "luck" with this experience. the survivor is expanding quite large already and is about 8-10". after some more settling time and eating in the tank if he doesn't split i'll manually clone him and probably have him in my 265 build or put him up for sale. he's really turning into a beautiful specimen and addition to the tank. quite excited!

Last edited:
Back