Making rocks from beach safe for tank

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
Is there a way to make rocks from the beach safe to put in a tank?
I live in FL, and my dad just got back from Oregon, where he found some really cool small rocks. Just wondering if there is a way to "cure" them my self? just to make them safe to put in a tank

You can soak them in bleach then rinse well and let them soak in water with some dechlorinator to make sure you got all the bleach out. But be careful what kind of rocks you use -- many rocks are composed of metals which can leach out into your tank. This can cause algae problems or even worse kill inverts. You should only use calcium carbonate based rocks (reef rocks). Not lava rocks or river rocks or stuff like that.

You can soak them in bleach then rinse well and let them soak in water with some dechlorinator to make sure you got all the bleach out. But be careful what kind of rocks you use -- many rocks are composed of metals which can leach out into your tank. This can cause algae problems or even worse kill inverts. You should only use calcium carbonate based rocks (reef rocks). Not lava rocks or river rocks or stuff like that.

They actually aren't really "rocks". It's almost like they are made out of some really hardened clay. I put them in a bucket of salt water just to see what was in it, and a few little pieces broke off, but its still all together. I just love the rock because it's the perfect size, only about 5 inches long, and has a hole right in the middle for a plug to go in

I have used a ton of rock form beaches in Florida and Costa Rica but I always use dead coral skeletons or aragonite. I let it sit bone dry for months.

Back