Lion fish

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
My new tank is still up and cycling, but i saw this very small lion fish which will be safe in my new tank for now till the other is done cycling.

here are some pics :)

Also picked up a spotter puffer. A couple of nice fish IMO :)

the lion fish looks a bit shy actually, has been sitting on one spot!

021tn.jpg

027qo.jpg

Me too, he is so nice :) im actually a little worried in my tank, cant find my pink anthia and one of my firefish... hrmm, they didnt eat it, I didnt see them before i got these guys :S and the gf loved the anthia haha oh noes

Hahaha, nah, this lionfish is tiny, and hasnt moved from his corner. I found the Anthia (still hiding in a rock) but the other firefish has been MIA for at least a day, and the lionfish has only been in for a few hours

Very, I had 3, one got hit in the overflow and chopped up my skimmer. one is MIA and the other is a very open swimmer.

Great lookig fish.....
Keep in mind there is always a risk that the cute little puffer may decide to take a nibble on the lions fins....and eventually always nibble till theres nothing left.
Theres always a risk with everything though,heck i keep 2 triggs together so just forget everything i said:mrgreen:......nice fish :Cheers:

I will keep that in mind :) the puffer is staying in my reef tank, and the lion fish is going into the 40g predator tank :)

Those are some cool additions...especially that lionfish. I don't think you're gonna want to keep that puffer in a reef tank, they're not compatible. They'll eat all you cuc.

From what ive heard these ones can be compatible and he hasnt nibbled at anything. ive heard as well these are good ones :) and if not, ill stick him in the predator tank :)

And no im not going to keep it alone, im going to get a dogface puffer or a snowflake eel with him

isn't 40gallons a little small for a lionfish, a dog face puffer, and a snowflake? pretty sure each one of those requires a much larger tank.

I know its not a dwarf lion fish, but from certain items ive been reading, you can keep these guys in a 40 gallon without much issue. And they are happy. Ill see how it goes in the end. always got the LFS to take it to if it doesnt work :) And i dont want all three, 2 is what i would be looking at as a maximum. but havent decided between the eel and the puffer. Not sure which one would be better off and which one I should actually put in.

The dogface is definitely not good for my tank as ive just reasearched, But there are other puffers I can have :)

I think with just the eel and the lionfish it would be okay. But that is still to be seen!

I know you know that, Josh, I was clarifying for Joesch. :) 1 or 2 sounds a little more reasonable than all 3, lol.

I think you could keep 1 volitan lion in a 40, maybe. According to this site (Dogface Puffer) though, you'd need at least 90 for a dog face puffer, although there are several smaller varities of puffer. Eels are huge. They'll outgrow a 40.

Back