Glow?

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Well, I was looking at lighting and i currently have a T5 system with one blue bulb and I was wondering, what is the best way to get the best glow out of my corals? what lights or fixtures should I be looking at?

It all depends on what type of lighting you have. T5's will give a different look than MH's will. You'll have to run a combination of different color bulbs to get the best colors out of your corals. Different brands of lights will give different coloration as well. And it has to do with water conditions and overall health of your corals. The healthier they are the better they will look. Go to this website and call to speak with their tech support. Tell them what you're looking for and they'll set you up with the best possible lighting combination.

ReefGeek > Aquarium Supplies for Marine, Reef, and Saltwater Aquariums

I don't think it would worth it shipping bulbs to Australia Hiker.

How many bulbs do you have in this fixture?What are the other bulbs?

I don't think it would worth it shipping bulbs to Australia Hiker.

How many bulbs do you have in this fixture?What are the other bulbs?

I agree Reef, def not worth the shipping to Australia. I was just telling him to contact them for advise. Guess I could have worded it better. Then he can go buy the bulbs anywhere he wants. I know they are very knowledgeable there and helped me out a few times.

I dont know much about my light fixture it wasnt anything expensive but is a HOT5 light fixture with one blue light and normal light (dont even know the spectrum) but under the blue light, I wanted some more glow so that I can show off the corals night colors.

Im thinking I should change both globes in the T5 to actnics? and maybe that can provide what im looking for with the Mhalide off?

Actinic is great for color however they have terrible PAR. You will need to keep at least one of the bulbs a lighter spectrum like a 6-10K so that your coral's will have sufficient lighting to grow.

I musnt have mentioned earlier that I have a metal halide (150w) running, and both lights run 10 hours a day. Im just wondering if I should put 2 actinic lights just for colors at night? or what other spectrum is good for making corals glow?

I really need to learn how to be more clear when I write things haha

:P From what I've seen most people run their MH's from say 9-6 and run their actinics from 8-7. The time of day varies but the main point being they run the actinics for an hour before and an hour after the MH shut off. If your looking to make the corals colors pop, from the pictures I've seen the actinics will do that. Personally, I like the 475nm spectrum or close to it.

Change the T5 bulbs to ATI blue plus bulbs.I'm sure they are sold down under.It will help balance the MH so everything doesn't look washed outYou will need a period of no lights or very little light.The T5 as actinic use for night time viewing isn't a good idea.Even actinic can promote excessive algae growth if ran 24/7.Corals will fluoresce under blue LED moonlights,try that instead.

Ok, im not planning on running them 24/7 because its in my room, i still need to sleep :) but LED might be something worth trying and ill start looking into those bulbs. Thanks :)

Those are fairly amazing, I'll speak to my LFS this afternoon because I need to pick up a heater for my new tank :)

ati plue plus is all you need to know about t-5 lol

i use

ati blue plus
UVL super attinic
ati aqua blue special
ati blue plus

great color

Yeah, that is a lot of blue, but it looks like it works well for him. I have a 6 bulb T5 setup that I run 3 ATI Blue+, 1 Fiji Purple, 1 6500K and 1 Actinic

lol ya it is but thats what i was going for, i use it primarily for attinic purposes thats why theres really no white bulb in the combo i use a 250 14k hamilton for growth n what now, the combo is killer though GREAT color

Oh,I get it now.You are also running MH with the T5.

I don't have room to talk,I'm running 8 ATI blue plus and 6 daylights(fiji purple,aquablue specials,UV aquasun)

You guys have some massive light setup! I cant get that many with mine really. But you think that the purple and blue and that will make a nice color with my Metal Halide?

Back