Flatworm Treatment

I don't know. I already changed out 25% of the water, so maybe it won't work? It is supposed to work immediately, at least from everything I read. But it did nothing but make them move all over the place.

Everything looks fine... Fish, inverts and corals are all looking normal.

I guess I'll just keep an eye out for them. If I see them come back, then I will try the Salifert meds. It's just weird.

God what an eventful evening. I hope you don't have a leak especially since you're going out of town. Luckily you have NDB there, so you have some help. Sorry your flatworm exit didn't do the trick. Where do you think you got them anyways? SWA?

I've heard the BlueLife stuff doesn't work as well as the Salifert Flatworm eXit.

If your tank is leaking at a seam, here is a temp fix that has been working on a leak Sanjay has on his 500g tank. Get some super glue gel and smear it over the leak. It's been a few months and the super glue is still working on Sanjays leak.

God what an eventful evening. I hope you don't have a leak especially since you're going out of town. Luckily you have NDB there, so you have some help. Sorry your flatworm exit didn't do the trick. Where do you think you got them anyways? SWA?

That's where I got the mushroom rock that they are all living on. But I bought that rock ~2 years ago. I think my leopard wrasse was keeping them in check that whole time, but the wrasse died back in October. I've only noticed the flatworms since then.

This morning, my duncans would not open. They were the closest coral to the flatworm rock. Hopefully they'll be okay. Luckily, it's just a 2-headed frag, so it's not like they're irreplaceable if they decide to die on me!

I've heard the BlueLife stuff doesn't work as well as the Salifert Flatworm eXit.

I did some more research online. That's what it seems. However, I also read several accounts of both the Blue Life and Flatworm Exit taking up to 10x the recommended dose on the box to take effect.

If your tank is leaking at a seam, here is a temp fix that has been working on a leak Sanjay has on his 500g tank. Get some super glue gel and smear it over the leak. It's been a few months and the super glue is still working on Sanjays leak.

That's an idea, except I can't reach the bottom of the tank where it would be leaking since my stand is not open underneath the tank. The tank kind of "sits in" the stand, and there's a solid board underneath it, and a raised edge (or lip) all around the 4 sides of the tank.

The good news is that I continued to check all last night and didn't see any more leaking. I forgot to check it this morning, but will take a look before I go out of town.

I hope so. I was really upset about it last night. I was like, "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?" NDB kept telling me, "It will be okay, we'll make it work out, shhhh... Now order me some pizza..." :D

I've thought about it. Either that or getting another leopard wrasse will probably be my approach if they come back. Medicating is too stressful on me!

I had what were unmistakably flatworms. Treated tank with FlatwormXit and I accidentally put 10 times that dosage in the tank. Some Flatworms survived so I treated again and still all were not gone. A month after the treatment they just seemed to disappear.

I talked to someone who is very good on my local board and he could not explain why some survived. He did say that the majority of flatworm species are benign.

I would have a phosphate reactor ready to go after your treatment. FlatwormXit prescribes a big water change after the treatment.

Last edited:
Many of them are benign, but I have the kind that don't go on the rocks or glass or sand, they only go on the corals. And if you have that kind, I read that they can interfere with the corals photosynthesizing because all the flatworms are blocking the light. I had already noticed the mushrooms that they were living on shrinking up more and more.

I'm not too stressed about this. There weren't a lot to begin with, and now there are even fewer, so it's all good!

Back