Filtration question

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
Hi, I just bought a 55 with all the accessories from craigslist, but it only came with a 60g power filter (an old one at that).

I really don't want to dump another $100+ into a canister right away because I'm going to be buying tons of live rock, a protein skimmer etc. already and I know I'll be short for money after all that.

I have these two 20g submersible filters that I was using for my turtle tank awhile ago. So if i put one or both of those in with the power filter, would I be okay at least for a few months just using those?

Thanks in advance

Well, most people here (me included) dont run a canister filter 100% of the time. Just to polish up the water once in a while. Research and buy a good skimmer avoid the seaclone skimmer. They dont work much at all. The live rock will help with the nitrogen cycle and the skimmer will remove the organic waste. Water changes are a big thing also. They replenish nutrients in the water on regular intervals.

Brian

Canister filters really aren't a good idea for saltwater. You are better of just using a protein skimmer. If you have a good protein skimmer, you don't need any other types of filters.

Don't think the turtle filters will be of much use.
Do you have room for a sump below in the cabinet?

I could probably fit a 10g sump down there, my stand is very low to the ground. Would that be big enough? And for that matter, could somebody help me out with directions on building a really simple sump system. I found a tutorial on youtube but I can't help but think there's an easier way.

I'm pretty set on the sump idea now actually (assuming I can do it with a 10g tank). I got my protein skimmer today and it is just the most hideous thing ever.

A 10 gallon will make a pretty decent sump.Thats about all you'd be able to fit under a 55 anyhow.
Just silicone a set of baffles between the drain/skimmer section and the return.That really about all you need.

Back