Dumb Idea?

Doc

I don't work for anybody
OK, So I am jealous of the guy with the tank who got their Goni to drop babies. I want some - baaaad. So here is my hair-brained idea: Since my Goni is the encrusting variety, I placed him up on rocks like so:

PA280001.jpg

The goal is to have him "encrust" onto the other rocks, which in time (not very soon obviously), will then be sold to the highest bidder and I can start my OWN path to rule the world - or at least send one to Rigo and another to Reef. Does my idea hold water? (pun intended) I am also giving it a shot with the zoas I just got. I have done that before, so I am confident that I will have frags of the orange and green zoas in two months.

PA280002.jpg

I'd love some feedback on this scheme.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Time will tell. I did the same thing with my zoas also. Looks like a few are on the other rock but I'm not even going to check for another month or so.

the question tho, is this...what about removal? it the exo-skeleton going to need to be drilled or sawed apart? can you just tear off the new rocks from the mother rock? will it damage the original goni? Right now, I have some Barry White playing softly in the background near the tank hoping to send the right message to the goni. Any other ideas to make this work?

Thats the thing,if it the goni does spread over to the other rocks,I don't know how you're going to remove it.I've haven't heard anybody actually fragging a goni.I can assume with wire cutters/bone cutters but not sure though.Maybe visit Goniopora.org,you may find the answer there.

Try Marvin Gaye?

LOL.

I have had more personal success with Barry White, but if the Goni doesn't respond, I will give Marvin a shot. That made me chuckle a bit - nice touch.

for the record I'm sure rigo doesn't have anywhere to put it Dr Marco. you should just send it to me if that's the case. hell I'm so close you could almost drive it up here

No pain no gain Doc.
50/50 shot weather it will work or not.
Get some Van Halen going for it.Forget that soft crap.:mrgreen:

isn't it tho? I have not had one look this good before. It just seems to get bigger each day. clearly it has the brownish, healthy tissue to prove it. I am anxious to get my hands on a different colored one!

Alexander,

if I am successful at breeding this puppy, you can drive down to pick up a spawn. I will part with one if you like.

Get a red goni,the round kind.Those are likely to reproduce then the encrusting or branching kind.Not to mention they are so nice looking.

the hard part is trying to find one. I have been looking for a pink one for about 8 months now with no luck.

I've never seen red,purple or pink gonis at the LFS either.You may have to breakdown and order one online.I know Dr. Foster has the reds.Maybe your LFS can order you one like ours here can.

The reds that are about baseball size is about $70-80.Higher,maybe $100 for anything bigger.The purple and pinks are about $55-60 for baseball size,they are not as pretty as the reds in my eyes.

hmmm. hope they r worth it. I have not ordered from an online place yet and am still a bit nervous. I may wait still to order that. Nerves and all.

Liveaquaria do have a nice 14 day guarantee.They do QT their livestock and as far as fish,they must be eating before they are sold.Check there Diver's Den every now and then.Its a WYSIWYG,last night I saw some nice red ones.

Back