Building my sump thread.

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
Hullo!
Today i got this crazy idea to build a sump.
so i got started on paper with an architechts ruler, a calculator, and graphing paper.

This is an artists randition of what i drew.
nbywz5.jpg

The one on paper has measurements and to scale refrence points. but this just is an idea. I wanna do a fuge, but i dont know much about them, advice would be cool. tank is a 29 gallon and im gunna do either a 15 or a 20h under it (24x12) so itll fit nice and snug, 15 is 12 high and 20 is 16 high, havent decided what is better, input?

I've got a bunch of pvc and couplers and valves and all sorts of connectors and stuff to get set.
the red things in the drawing are where im going to put valves. good ideas?

I ordered the eshopps nano overflow box rated at 200gph, sounds ok and im using a ~300gph pump with a 7' head max... im way under that so ill use a top side valve and a return spout to limit that. the input (to sump) is .75" and the return (to DT) is .5"

prretty pumped!:bounce:

Ok so today i had some time off from work and i measured and cut all the pvc for the sump plumbing. I'm going to spray paint everything matblack when the weather clears up a little bit. I'm assuming i shoulden't paint the areas that will be in the water?

also, pvc cutters make life so nice!

kb2m1g.jpg

all the peices cut
2q3zls4.jpg

the intake (to sump) overflow box screws on to a tapped portion on top, and i have a ball valve just in case i ever need to stop it.
117daw8.jpg

the return line will pump water back to sump and to tank, depending on the output of the water pump, and 2 ball valves one to tank and one to sump for what ever reasons i might use those.
2rmmonl.jpg

rough estimate of how it will sit under my tank. all the elbow joints will not be flat they will be sticking out to run out and up

The skimmer might be more productive in the first chamber, where all the gunk comes pouring in. Otherwise, the gunk might get trapped in the first and second chamber.

Ok so i just got back from the stores. I got a tank 20H for the sump, and plexy glass for the baffles and such. Some dremel bits to cut the plastic, and then i stopped at my LFS xD and got some new inverts and coral lol

my problem...
244brm0.jpg

What do?

I also would make the first chamber larger and the pump section smaller and put the skimmer in the first section, you will want to get the most out of the skimmer ( as far as seeing the most stuff pass through it).. is there more room through the back then through the front of the stand? I know my 75 was like that and I had to drain some water out and slide the tank forward a bit to get the tank in..

Last edited:
yes the back side has a larger opening.

lol

and i guess that's what ill have to do. was hoping there would be some miracle cure but there never is in this hobby eh?

I got my acrylic all cut and im going to glue it in place sometime today, then i'll post pics. But i have a quick question.

I have to move the tank out so i can fit the sump underneath it. and i wanted to paint the back glass flat black... If i do a super job of wrapping the tank etc careful. Would i be ok to do this? or will it be a bad choice and just forget about it in the first place.

A safer bet would be to just buy some black construction paper, cut to size, and tape on back. This way, it's even interchangeable should you want to try blue, etc.

Back