beautiful fish

It might be cheaper to fly to the South Pacific, catch a few of those fish with a net, put them in highly oxygenated, heated drums and fly back with them.

it shocked me when i read it because they are having the same discussion about the same fish from the same store at the same time on three different boards

supply and demand just like everything else. if the demand for a certain thing (fish in this case) is high then the price is going to go skyrocket but if the demand is low (that is when reefers don't buy it) the the price is going to drop.

supply and demand just like everything else. if the demand for a certain thing (fish in this case) is high then the price is going to go skyrocket but if the demand is low (that is when reefers don't buy it) the the price is going to drop.

But how can there be high demand for a 17k fish? I mean how many people could actually afford this? Yellow tangs are high demand too (i think), and they dont go for 17K.

Its one thing to maybe sell a fish for $500-$1000 because its a special beauty and very high demand, its another to sell it for $17k. Im sure only a hand full of people could actually afford it.

There must be another reason. Maybe i should read the link dustin posted...:D and it better not say because of high demand cause i dont buy that reasoning for a 17k fish. Its just too extreme pricing to be in high-demand.

Just something I noticed, that wasnt a dollar sign or a pound sign does anyone know what denomination that the symbol is for? Euros, Francs pesos, etc.

It really is a supply and demand issue. Ultra high asian demand and very very low(controlled) supply. The mexicans have a strangle hold on the market and only want their biologist to study Clarions and also Blue Spot Jawfish so they heavily regulate the capture and legal export of the species.

Once people have been in the hobby for a while, they can get bored of regular fish or want to have something that no one else can. If you think about it, there are so many tastes in the world. A better question to ask is if they would appreciate a fish of that price? Having the money is one thing, but a passion for the hobby is different. I work with people who make more money in one week than most of us will ever make in a lifetime. they have more stuff than they know what to do with. Many have salt water tanks and don't think twice about dropping tens of thousands to set one up, only to get bored with it and getting rid of it. Just pretty fish to look at. I have my tastes and others have theirs.

As to the expense, the more rare and difficult to catch and ship, the most the cost. Austrailian fish are costing more than caribbean fish. Just the nature of the business. supply and demand is part, but there is more than that

-Doc

It says in that post that only 100 clarion angels are legally caught per year. 50 are authorized to go to Asia, and 50 to North America. Small supply = higher cost. It is supply and demand, and that's about it.

There is a reason why the peppermints cost so much. They arent available in the trade and when they are they dont eat. If anyone finds one and has it for sale it is in high demand.
If you think there is no one in the world ready to blow that much on a fish you are mistaken. 17k is not even close to the most expensive animals in the pet trade.
This is from wwm....

Peppermint Angel - 08/05/
Dear Bob and friends at WWM,
<<EricR here>>
What is the likelihood that I could get my hands on a Peppermint Angel here in the States? I’m well aware that even if I do find one, I'll be sacrificing the down payment on my condo to purchase it- however, I’m still quite curious.
<<Assuming you are referring to Centropyge boylei...from what I have been able to ascertain, the likelihood of obtaining one is very small.>>
To my knowledge they are rarely imported into the U.S. but I've heard stories of one or two showing up at Quality Marine in LA within the last twenty years- sounds more and more like a long shot.
I was also thinking that Mr. Boyle over on the Cook Islands might be able to direct me to a source, or perhaps even help me get one...??...?? I'd like to know your thoughts :)
<<A beautiful fish, but unsuited to aquarium keeping from what I have gathered. A deep water fish (50-120 meters) that rarely feeds in captivity, and when/if it does...whose diet we haven't quite figured out. Best left in the sea.>>
As always, your site continues to amaze me! I have gained an incredible amount of useful knowledge from WWM and it has become number one on my list of favorites!
Thank you much,
Nic
<<Regards, EricR>>

Back