Algea Problems

Eric Noa

Reefing newb
Hello Guys,

In a couple of days my powerheads had gotten full of some sort of algae and my overflow is getting filled to with algae but its a green different that the one on the powerheads.

Here are some pictures of the powerheads

what can I do to stop this? I cover the overflow two days ago so that light doesn't go inside and it'll (hopefully) stop the algae problem in there.

Attachments

• Algae2.webp
    Algae2.webp
    21.5 KB · Views: 350
  • Algae1.webp
    Algae1.webp
    23 KB · Views: 401
Oh that looks familiar. I am guessing that the algae in the overflow is dark green and very slimy? This algae is a good sign that your tank is healthy, but probably a little nutrient rich. Your phosphates are probably elevated too.

This algae lives on light, nutrients and phosphates. If you take any one of those away, the algae will retreat.

My suggestion is to: (1) pull off whatever algae you can by hand, (2) decrease your lighting cycle for a couple of days, (3) add some chaeto to your sump with a grow light.

You should also test your phosphate levels to see where they are. Resist feeding with dry flake food, and try mysis or other similar non-processed foods. Flake food is nototrious for being high in phosphates. If you are still haveing trouble, you may want to look into getting a phosphate sponge--but to me those seem less natural than useing the chaeto.

Thanks. Im currently feedind frozen brine shrimp and Silversides for my Anemone and sometimes I put an extra one on the sand for my hermits/Emerald/Snails to feed on. Im I feed the fish every 2 or 3 days and the anemones, crabs and snails every 3 or 4 days.

I will test for phosphate and will let you guys know the results.

I have a berlin style sump, Can I add chaeto to that type of sump?

+1 Navarchus

I'm sure there a way to get some Cheato in the sump.
Can you post a pic of your your sump? That way I know somebody will have an idea.

Remove as much of it by hand. If you are using tap water, switch to RODI water. Using tap water will almost ensure that you get algae problems! Most importantly is to probably keep up with water changes on a regular basis.

Back