Aclimating

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Just kind of curious how you all aclimate your fish and inverts. I thought it would be kind of interesting to hear all of the different techniques.

Me, I just dump the fish in the tank:helm2::frustrat: j/k.

I float the bag in the tank for 15 to 30 minutes. I usually don't turn off the lights first. Then I just add a little bit of tank water to the bag using a turkey baster, every five minutes or so, for another 30 minutes. Then I catch the fish with a net and move it into the tank. I used to not be so careful about using a net; I used to just "push" the fish in, but then I found out that my LFS uses copper in all their fish tanks. So, unbeknownst to me, I had slowly been adding copper to my tank every time a bag accidentally slipped under water (which happened a lot), and every time I moved the fish from the bag to the tank. BTW, I just found this out a couple weeks ago. So I have some amount of copper in my new 240. But not enough to register on a test...

I have a small styafoam cooler that I put the fish or whatever in. Then I use the drip way. Where you take plastic tubing and put one end in the tank while the other end has the valve that you slowly open over time. If temp is off I slowly raise it with small heater. When everything is same as tank. I catch with net and in QT it goes. As for corals I set them in my sump and add small amount of water every 15 min when same as MT I'll give them a bath and in MT they go.

I float the bag for about 5 minutes and add 1/4 cup of water into the bag every 5 minutes or so. Total time is about 20 minutes or so. Never lost a fish yet using that method. Sometimes, I don't even acclimate corals, I just put them right in.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Bag method, take out water every 20 min or so, replace with tank water, net the fish and toss it in, takes about 1 1/2 hours to go thru it all.. Corals get a quick dip and are set right in the tank..

I've never done an acclimation shorter than a couple hours. Snails--as long as I can stand it. Usually try to go 3hrs minimum and as much as 5hrs if I have the patience with the snails.

I open the bag and let it overhang the edge of the aquarium. I am extremely careful NOT to let any of the bag water in my tank. Don't know what's in there--could have COPPER or some other chemical in the LFS water that I don't want in my tank.

I use a shot glass and dip water out of my tank. I pour in a shot glass about every 15 minutes. I don't bother to acclimate temp for 15 minutes first. Just start dumping shot glasses of tank water into the bag. If the bag gets full, I dump about 75% of it down the sink and then continue with my shot glasses every 15 minutes.

When it's time to turn them loose, I just scoop them out with the shot glass or a net. Off they go!! :mrgreen:

I always dump the bag water down the sink. Never a drop of the LFS water gets in my tank.

I use the drip method on everything.But I just set a steady drip untill the salinity of the bag matches my tanks.
Net and release.

Back